Corsair Community

Cold boot problem with Corsair 500r case...

dbswisha

I am not really sure what section my situation falls under, so I am posting it here since the problem started since I got my new 500r.

A little background: I had a FT02 before the 500r. Built the machine in April, did not have any issues with it. I got the 500r to provide better cooling for my two 580 Lightnings. I have everything in the 500r as you'd expect. When I press the power button on the case, nothing happens. I can continue hitting the button and...nothing. To solve this I have to flip the switch on my Corsair AX850 off and on multiple times to get it to work. I also notice that when I flip the switch off on the PSU and then press the power button, the white LED will flash briefly. Flipping the switch back on and pressing the power button will almost always turn the machine on after this happen.

Whenever I turn the machine off for longer than 2 minutes it will not turn back on, and I have to revert to the steps listed above. Once I get the machine on it is fine. I've left it on for 2 days straight now with no issue. It's only when it's turned off for a period of time that this happens. At first I thought it was a PSU problem. I went out and got a new AX850 from Microcenter and hooked it up...same problem. That leaves the case and the motherboard left. Whenever I do this process it's like my BIOS gets set back to default as well. My OC is gone, settings etc.

Can somebody please help me out here? I have no idea what could be going on? Bad system panel cables from the case? A short some where? I would appreciate any help, as this is very frustrating.

• Corsair Employees
It is possible that there is grounding issue in the case. The way I would approach it is, build the system on a test bench and see if the system would behave the same way similar when it is inside the case. If they are ok on a test bench, then I would check all possible parts that could cause a grounding issue.. check behind the motherboard, see if there is anything that came off, front I/O panel, maybe an expose wire...

• Corsair Employees
Well, only way to find out is to put your system on test bench to isolate it from the case and the front I/O of the case.. since the case is the only thing has been changed to your previous set up, I would try to isolate it right away.

i am having the same problem with this case, did you figure it out?

also what kinda PSU do u have? make/model/watts??

sometimes i keep unplugging the power and pluggin in and hit power to get it on, sometimes i have to open the side panel, i dunno what it is, sometimes it starts first try and sometimes it doesnt, its really annoying, but once it is on i can run it for days without a problem. Im still trying to figure it out. My setup worked fine in my old case, the only new components are the CASE and PSU, so i know its one of the two, but considering i got a better PSU im thinking its something with the case....its driving me nuts.

I have a Corsair AX850 PSU. I went and got a new AX850 try to, and my machine did the exact same thing. I know it's not the PSU. My computer has been running for 6 days straight now as I have decided to leave it on. No issues, it's only when I do the cold boot as mentioned where I run into issues....

Also this is a really dumb question but if I put the machine on a test bench.....how am I going to power the machine on since there won't be a button to push?

jump it to power it on, i use a flat head screwdriver, just jump the two pins to the power switch ( - +) positive-negative on the motherboard.

If thats confusing ill word it like this...jump the positive and negative power switch pins on the motherboard. when u jump it make sure that whatever conductive device u are using (i recommend a small flat head) doesnt touch anything else other than the two intended pins on the mobo.

Note: Of course if it doesnt work dont be surprised as you are alreaedy having problems turning it on. But under normal conditions the procedure above will turn on any computer that would normally work.

BTW: Instead of getting the same PSU, You should have tested it with a different make/model PSU. I havent had time to fiddle with mine, but once i figure it out, ill post back.

Unplug everthing connected to the case (USB, Firewire, speaker, LED wires, etc). As XeoNoX notes, you can power up the board manually (I believe your board actually has a power button on the board itself). If the MB is not grounded somewhere and it's still happening, your problem is not related to the case. I agree with you that a grounding issue would cause different behavior than what you are seeing.

• 1 month later...

just a follow up, i finally found the short, it was the panel connectors, i fit them in there better and made sure that they were "properly connected" plus to plus and minus to minus, im pretty sure i had it right the first time. I found the short by "wiggling/shacking" each cable/chord one by one and constantly hitting the power button until the computer turned on. I repeated this a couple times over the period of a couple weeks til i found the wire that i would have to wiggle to turn on the computer and thats how i knew it was that chord/cable/connector. I have attached a picture below of the cable i am talking about. It may vary for someone else, but if u follow my "wiggle and power" step u should eventually find the short. GL to those trying to find a short, it sure does take time and patience.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4163/imageviewx.jpg

Archived