Corsair Community

Faulty PCI-E connectors on TX650?

Mrdjc

Please see this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=101942

My System wont POST, and I believe this is as a result of a faulty supply to the GFX via the PCI-E connectors.

Is there any way I can measure output to see if both plugs are functioning correctly? What Voltage are they meant to put out and what kind of resistance should they have internally? Are all 3 yellow wires the same? and all 3 black just ground?

My PSU has been whining away under load ever since I got it, and sits at around an estimated 50C without any load. I read the sticky at the top when I first purchased it, and it seemed normal for them to whine a bit.

My question is, can a faulty PSU be the cause of a dead SSD drive? (Also Corsair).

I'm not very happy at the moment having a dead SSD and a PC which refuses to POST.

The SSD has already been sent off, but I'm guessing I'll loose all my data.

I tried another Graphics card, a 7600GT, which does not have the PCI-E connectors on it, and the PC went right up to the POST screen then.

I don't have another PSU with the PCI-E connectors on it, and the Molex to PCI-E connectors are at my parents house, 3000KM from here.

I have contacted the local PC store I purchased the PSU from to see if they can quickly try another one they have in the workshop, to see if it will boot then.

Ok, tried a different graphics card and PSU in the local PC store.

Same symptoms persist, but it works fine with a graphics card which does not utilise the PCI-E power plugs.

Very strange considering it has worked fine for almost a year.

Also very strange that the SSD AND mainboard (Well, the PCI-E part of it) decide to fail within 2-3 days of each other.

Time to upgrade mainboard!

Running new main-board, CPU and Ram now, and its working fine with the old Vid card and the TX650.

Very strange if you ask me!

The Old main-board stopped working correctly with the Graphics card using the PCI-E power plugs.

Stick in a different (Less power demanding) card without the requirements of PCI-E connectors and it worked fine.

Add to that the dead SSD drive, I really wonder what caused it.

Perhaps the SSD dying triggered something to break on the mainboard, and instead of the hard drive controller getting its power from where its supposed to get it, it took it from the PCI-E shared supply or something, which didn't have enough available in order to boot up?

Anyhow, issue resolved now, €300,- later!

The PSU now also runs a lot cooler, as does the graphics card, despite having increased FPS in games.

Now just to get my SSD back from RMA and I'll be a happy bunny again.

Archived