Hello,

Specs:

Dell R210II

xeon e3 1240

4x2GB ECC RAM

Corsair Force Series 3 120gb SSD.

Windows Server 2008 Standard r2 64bit

Installed newest AHCI drivers

I have connected the SSD to the onboard port and in BIOS i set it to AHCI mode, installed windows, then ran MS Updates, as it was installing it went BSOD, when it booted into windows I was unable to run updates again, I recieved 2 error codes, 1 for corrupted files.

So I reinstalled Windows again, ran updates, same thing. So I updated the firmware to the latest version on the SSD, reinstalled windows, ran updates, and success, installed fine, however it was extremely slow, slower then the HDD i had in there before. So i downloaded ATTO to test the SSD, It ran the first run of 0.5 then completely froze, so I downloaded Intel Rapid Storage App to see if it reports anything, when i go to run it, it says This program has stopped working, so I cannot access it. I tried a few more times to run ATTO, and managed to get 1 run out of it.

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/223316/327-412/winserv08.jpg

as you can see 0.5, 1.0, 2.0 are slow.

So I take it out and plug the SSD into my Desktop Computer, and run ATTO on there, and this is what I get:

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/223317/331-423/desktop.jpg

So I know the SSD works perfectly fine.

I plug it back into the r210II, and then set the mode from AHCI to ATA and this is what I get:

http://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/223318/332-419/ata.jpg

It performs better on 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, but on everything else its slower.

Any Ideas on what I can try?

Did you install the inf files for your chipset? They are available on Intel's website (infinst_autol.exe), and I would think Dell would have them too.

The question IMO is, does the C202 provide support for a standard SATA SSD, which the Corsair Force 3 SSD is. The C200 series chipset are similar if not identical to the "high-end" desktop chipsets, known as a PCH, on desktop boards. The point here is they ought to support a standard SATA drive, regardless of the type.

Did you install the inf files for your chipset? They are available on Intel's website (infinst_autol.exe), and I would think Dell would have them too.

The question IMO is, does the C202 provide support for a standard SATA SSD, which the Corsair Force 3 SSD is. The C200 series chipset are similar if not identical to the "high-end" desktop chipsets, known as a PCH, on desktop boards. The point here is they ought to support a standard SATA drive, regardless of the type.

Yes I have tried the latest ones from the Intel Site, and also the recommended ones on the Dell site, makes no difference.

Well when configuring a dell server you can select SSDs so i am sure you can, not only that, but people use SSDs with the r210II, although being the Intel SSDs.

I will test the SSD again on my desktop pc to make sure it is running fine, but im sure it will work fine on there, so looks like ill just have to swap it for an intel one.

The product page for the Force 3 120GB SSD has a link to a review on it, which used a Z68 chipset mother board. The review had no problems with that chipset and SSD combination. Checking Intel's site for information on the Z68 chipset shows that the Intel 6-series chipset datasheet also includes the C200 series chipsets, meaning they are essentially the same.

Given this it is hard to believe that the Force 3 SSDs would not work with the C200 series chipsets. Also, for Intel to lock-out other manufactures SSDs use with even their server products would be a ridiculous move on their part, and would create quite an outcry among users of those servers, and hardware reviewers, IMO. The same thing goes for HP.

I'm not saying you are wrong about this, but it looks like they should work fine together.

The product page for the Force 3 120GB SSD has a link to a review on it, which used a Z68 chipset mother board. The review had no problems with that chipset and SSD combination. Checking Intel's site for information on the Z68 chipset shows that the Intel 6-series chipset datasheet also includes the C200 series chipsets, meaning they are essentially the same.

Given this it is hard to believe that the Force 3 SSDs would not work with the C200 series chipsets. Also, for Intel to lock-out other manufactures SSDs use with even their server products would be a ridiculous move on their part, and would create quite an outcry among users of those servers, and hardware reviewers, IMO. The same thing goes for HP.

I'm not saying you are wrong about this, but it looks like they should work fine together.

I wasn't sayng that there is compatibilty issues, nore saying that any other SSD would not work, they were just questions I was looking for the answer to.

I plugged in my OCZ Agility 3 120gb Into the R210II as a secondary drive on another port, and the exact same result, it won't run ATTO will just stay on please wait with no results, and won't let me restart or close it just freezes.

No idea what the issue could be? Can't be the mobo if the HDDs work fine? Is there any disadvantage to running an SSD in ATA mode?

Archived