Corsair Community

Sleep mode and garbage collection

Akecheta

Is sleep mode alright for the SSD? I really dont want to keep shutting off/on PC when not in use.

How does the SSD garbage collection start? Do I need to be at the login screen to to make garbage collection and TRIM to start and to work. I am wondering cause in the past two weeks I have 35GB used up on a new SSD. All I have on SSD is OS and all the drivers for mobo. Also drivers for Nvidia GPU and sound card.

-Change your pagefile settings.

-Remove Hibernation

-Delete temporary files

-Delete old system restore files

TRIM works when the User is deleting a specific file from the SSD. It sends a SATA command and to tell the controller not to access the file and to erase it. I don't think you need to be at the login screen. Garbage collection is just like TRIM. It finds the deleted files and erases them.

Never heard that sleep mode could cause any harm to an SSD, so I guess it would be alright to use it. But hibernation will use some amount of free space of your SSD, if you want to have more free space, you will want to disable hibernation (Run Command Prompt as Administrator -> type powercfg -h off and press Enter).

Delete System restore file: System Panel -> System -> Advanced System settings -> Computer Security -> Select your drive and click Configure

Archived