Corsair Community

Corsair Force 3 GT 120GB performance as boot drive

k10john

Hello.

I got this drive and installed it as my boot drive on 11/29.

Initially it booted VERY fast. The windows logo would not show, it booted so fast.

About a week ago, it slowed down for some reason... now it is showing the full windows logo and even the loading screen after it for a few moments.

Does anyone have any general performance tips or things that I could check that might have caused that drastic change?

I ran ATTO and I am seeing this as my results..

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6512925745_3c56bfed94_z.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Need more info. Depends on your CPU and how much RAM you have. Check the thread on normal speed. I just posted a pick there of an ATTO test I just did and both read and write aver over 500 MB/SEC.

But I'm using an ASUS PX79 Deluxe MB with an Intel i7 3930K 3.2 G CPU and 16 Gigs of RAM.

CPU is overclocked to 4.2 Ghz.

Depending on your rig how fast your speeds will be. I suspect RAM makes the most differnce ... gives it room to run.

Well, your SSD speed should be +500MB/s (read and write), independently from memory (4, 8 or 16GB) and CPU (i5 2500K or i7 3930K).

Anyway, we will need some more information:

- SSD is connected to the very first Intel SATA3 port (SATA3_0, white)?

- Any drive connected to SATA3_1?

- SATA controller is set to AHCI in BIOS?

- Performed a clean Win 7 installation or did you clone your drive?

- Did you full format the drive?

- TRIM is enabled in OS?

Generally, you should upgrade your BIOS and your SSD's firmware to the most recent version (1.3.3 for Force GT).

You can SecureErase the SSD with PartedMagic to set it back to factory default and restore performance. This will erase all data. You can backup your drive beforehand and restore it after SecureErase, but a clean install would be recommended. Maybe something went wrong during first installation, and if you restore a faulty backup, you will end up with the same issue.

Yes, SSD is on the first 3_0.

I have the 2nd SSD on 3_1... I guess I could move it to the other connection because I don't really need it on the SATA3 one, since it's a SATA2 drive.

yes, AHCI is on.

Clean Win7 64 bit install

I let windows format the drive when I installed.

Trim is on.

Firmware is the latest.. I did that before I installed Windows.

I have the 2nd SSD on 3_1... I guess I could move it to the other connection because I don't really need it on the SATA3 one, since it's a SATA2 drive.

Yes, you should try this. Connecting another drive to the 2nd SATA3 port can sometimes causing issues. But I don't know if this will restore performance, maybe you will need to SecureErase.

And I forgot something: which driver are you using? MS-AHCI, Intel RST or Intel RSTe?

disable C3-C6 states in BIOS setup.

This is a known "bug" that impairs write performance on Gigabyte boards. Whether it helps with your boot time, well, you'll have to try it out.

THANK YOU.

This got me much closer to what I am supposed to be.

Boot is still not what I think it should be... and I may need to do an erase/reinstall to see if that fixes it, but I can do that if need be.. it's just a pain.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6513357881_70a1069269_z.jpg

Yes, you should try this. Connecting another drive to the 2nd SATA3 port can sometimes causing issues. But I don't know if this will restore performance, maybe you will need to SecureErase.

And I forgot something: which driver are you using? MS-AHCI, Intel RST or Intel RSTe?

Tried just moving the 2nd drive, and it didn't make a difference.

I am using the intel driver... This is the info:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6513378949_92c8e2d454.jpg

Archived