Corsair Community

CML16GX3M4X1600C8 Won't run XMP stable on LGA2011

H4wk

Hi guys, hope I can get some advice over here :)

So here's the thing, today I've installed my socket LGA2011

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K

MB: Asus ROG Rampage IV Formula X79

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Quad Channel 1600MHz CL8

Tried to set profile XMP within bios, everything works pretty fine while in BIOS but booting to windows either freezes or getting BSOD, so I guess it wants more juice, if I set it for Auto voltage it gets 1.6V ! But xmp profile sets 1.5V so what to do now ?

Is it a BIOS issue or what ? Should I leave 1.6V ? I don't think that's a solution... as RAM XMP profile sets 1.5V also documentation says the same.

Please advice.

Well, there is no newer BIOS available as mobo was released lately, there is only one BIOS - 0403...

btw CML16GX3M4X1600C8 is not compatible with LGA2011 ?

I saw on the store web that it is compatible with LGA2011.. so why the suggestion about another kit

So, the only possibility now would be to wait for new BIOS ?

I don't have the Rampage IV Formula yet (it's en route) but I am using the Rampage III Formula and it will not even POST with XMP. But I had no trouble setting the RAM timings, speed, and voltage manually and everything worked fine. You might try that. Also, the CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 is the only Corsair kit approved right now for that board. Anyway, try manually setting the timings, etc. From what I read prior to my purchasing the Rampage III the ROG series boards have a history of not working with XMP.

How is the board working out for you otherwise?

It's working pretty fine apart from the xmp...

Too bad then I want my rams running full XMP speed :(

Tried also setting up manually, same issue, simply looks it needs more juice... bsod and freez at 1.5V, runs fine on 1.6V...

//Edit: ordered CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R then, hope will work fine... returning CML16GX3M4X1600C8.. we'll see.

It's working pretty fine apart from the xmp...

Too bad then I want my rams running full XMP speed :(

No, you can still set them manually to get the XMP speed. You just need to change the timings and frequency

Is it a BIOS issue or what ? Should I leave 1.6V ? I don't think that's a solution... as RAM XMP profile sets 1.5V also documentation says the same.

With all your slots filled it may take just a little extra voltage. I would leave it be. But it's up to you, they should run finae at 1.5. If not go back to 1.6

CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R arrived !

Except that one module arrived as dead so PC won't even power on, the rest 3 modules are running pretty fine with XMP.. :)

Are you sure the forth module is dead?

Did you run it through memtest?

The reason i ask is because there have been others that have had trouble getting 4 sticks to run on that platform. So 'm wondering if it really is a memory issue or a MB issue. Memtest would rule it out for sure.though

I would hate to see you return a brand new kit for nothing.

Actually they (Store where I bought them from) let me keep 3 modules and send only one for RMA to distributor

I tried all four modules one by one, and only one had the issue that MB declined to power on.

And thus I was also not able to run memtest as it was not possible to boot with the module

Actually they (Store where I bought them from) let me keep 3 modules and send only one for RMA to distributor

Bad move. You should have RMA'd the entire kit. Now you are going to throw an unmatched module into three already matched modules. That actually may cause you more trouble than a dead stick.. I would contact the store and explain to them that the entire kit needs to be replaced, not just the bad stick.

If you would have RMA'd directly with Corsair they would have had you send the entire kit so you received a completely matched kit in return. The store should know this is Corsairs practice

Archived