Corsair Community

Corsair Force 3 in RAID and VM Server

mjradik

So as a proof of concept, I purchased a MegaRAID 9261-8i SATAIII Raid controller, and (8) Force 3 SSD drives. I configured in a RAID 6, and loaded VMWare 4.1 U2. I'm getting 1+GB/sec read and write speeds, which is awsome, and running a couple barley used VM's as a test.

My main question is, if I put this into production, with heavy load, am I going to run into any problems? Will the drives 'freak out' or something when used alot in a RAID or anything? I don't want end up down the road, the drives screw up, and get data corruption or something.

Has anyone used these drives in a production RAID and/or in a VM Host server?

Thanks.

Add on question. Doing some research, the Performance Pro series uses the Marvell controller and the Force/GT uses the Sandforce. Whats better in a RAID and/or more of an enterprise level environment? They both say they are compatible with Linux. (VMWare is a srtiped down version on Linux) And realy whats the difference between Marvel/sandforce?

I would like to add some more information. I read an article on the Performance 3 Series that uses the Marvel controller. (This is DIFFERENT from the Performance Pro series mentioned above) It states the 'garbage collection' system it uses is great in RAIDs. RAID's do not support TRIM. So although SSD's in a RAID might start off with great performance, once the drives are used for a while, and data has to be delete/re-written, slowing down the performance. The P3 series enhanced 'garbage collection' system sacrifices initial write speeds, so the drive preforms the same weather its day 1 or day 300. So thats good to know. Anyone else with any thoughts with SSD's in RAIDs?

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4050/corsair_performance_3_2x128gb_ssd_raid_report/index1.html

I'm running M4s in a RAID-0 and pretty sweet (but scary...failure prone)

I'm considering the Force3 in RAID 5 or possibly 5+0 on the LSI9260-8i

Trying to get official answer from corsair about the three Force3 60GB I own (v1 & v2) (1)F60GB3-BK + (2)F60GB3A-BK and whether these are technically the "same model" SSD as recommended for RAID. Both use SF-2200 controller but the cryptic answer from tech support was that "all drives should be same"

Anyway I have three M4 which I may try Raid5 with.

Have you seen storagereview.com article on LSI CacheCade2.0 for SSD+HDD arrays? Im considering this route too.

Archived