Corsair Community

Problems with running 3d and geforce cards

viperrt

I have a very odd problem that I think is related to the power supply. I have an Intel q9550 quad core on an asus rampage extreme x48, with 8 gig of 2000 MHz ram. My first video card was old geforce gtx 260. I also running tx 950w. That I got about 6 months ago. My old power supply died. The system is about 3-4 years old.

I started getting problems about 3 weeks ago where I could not run anything 3d without the system locking or rebooting. Did some searching and did some checking did memtest 86 memory check out good did some prime 95 processor did good. I used a friend video card which is an asus ati 4850. So about what my old 260 was. All problems went away. So I think ok video card. So I get a new zotac 560 ti amp. And did a fresh install of windows 7 64bit. And same problem no 3d. So my friend said it might be the power supply. So we did gpu folding at home and crashed it as soon as it loaded up the gpu. I did look up and the 260 does eat more power than the ati and 560 way more power. I did find if I clock the 560 all the way down i.e. 450 MHz from 950 MHz it will run 3d ok but does sometimes freezes.

I find that the windows performance is a good way to crash it using geforce and one odd bit was with the 260 even with install it crash doing the install test. But with the 560 windows seems to skip the test and give it a 1 rateing but when the drives are installed on 560 it will crash.

side note when it load 3d on the 260 i did get a "wine" sound from psu but not with any of the other cards. im also hard of hearing so may be doing it i just can hear it :)

I would think if it were PSU rated Prime95 would have crashed it too then. Thats going to put more load on your system then any of the other applications you have run. To me it sounds like you either have a bad PCI slot on your MB or your MB period is malfunctioning.

Have you checked your voltages? In BIOS at the very least and prefered with a multi-meter.

The voltages look good the only thing I can tell is with a amp meter when the video card stop the voltage on 12v line goes up .2v. Don't know if that means anything. Also I did look into it a quad core is 95w. 260 is 187w my 560 is almost 300w ATI 115w. I will try to get another power supply to test but resources are limited best I can do is my friend cheap 500 w. Was going to use it for video alone. I can try different slot see if it makes a difference. Oh and I have tried all the different bios settings. Only thing I found is the 260 would play 3d games for a bit then stop if I turn on s3 option. Seems to make no difference with the other 2.

both slots same problem.

I dont think it Mb or the ATI card would not work at all. If it's not power supply that a problem. I know ATI and geforces are different but it not software because it use to work fine so when I reinstall that fix software issue.

Yes I try clean and update. Only difference I can tell is ATI takes less power. And 950 working correctly should not even be a issue.

A cheepo 500 ya that's close.

But I have seen weird stuff before.

A quick look at user reviews of your card at a major E-tailer seemed to indicate temperature issues with it. There is even a common fix of lowering the card's voltage to 1.012V to stop the over heating and problems caused by the heat. In 3D games, the card is stressed to the greatest degree, have you checked the GPU temps?

You have a hot running CPU, and you did not mention your case or type of CPU cooling, etc.

Umm thank you.

no there not heat issue. you have to run 3d before it can get hot....:laughing:

and no my gtx 260 didnt just get hot. the ati runs the hotest. due to the one slot cooler.

PS. Watercooled north and winter time nothing gets over 120F even the amp 560.

Thank you

Corsair going to take care of it. They agree with me.

Corsair has always been very quick to take care of there people.

download MSI Afterburner and up the voltage on your graphics card a couple small ticks and you should be good. i had to on my 2 GTX 580's in sli.

i don't know what the voltage is on a 560 but for example my 580's were

1.050v and i set them at 1.063v so don't go to high

Thanks. The zotac amp already tweaked to max. Most people back it to 1.05v from stock 1.17. But my idle temp seem to be almost 20c lower. Didn't get to test my 3d temps but assume they be lower too. All I do is put a quite low air flow fan on card where the chip is and that has always worked wonders.

So let's see, you said:

"no there not heat issue. you have to run 3d before it can get hot....

and no my gtx 260 didnt just get hot. the ati runs the hotest. due to the one slot cooler.

PS. Watercooled north and winter time nothing gets over 120F even the amp 560."

I thought the 560 is the problem... and it is, so why mention the other cards? Yes it gets hotter in 3D, I said that. The first place I checked had one after another owner posting about the over-heating issues.

So something is water-cooled, maybe the 560??

Then this:

"The zotac amp already tweaked to max. Most people back it to 1.05v from stock 1.17. But my idle temp seem to be almost 20c lower. Didn't get to test my 3d temps but assume they be lower too. All I do is put a quite low air flow fan on card where the chip is and that has always worked wonders."

Yes, most people tweak it back because... it runs hot. But you have it tweaked out to the max. jlhawn said to not set the voltage to high, he's seen it cause problems, no doubt good advice.

Then you don't know the 3D temps, but they are Ok... and you have a fan blowing on it. :roll:

dude parsec calm down read do your home work.

A. my computer ran fine with gtx 260. the mb cpu gpu and what not never got above 120F then one day the 3d side stop working. first though was driver/software issue reinstall windows and what not. same problem.

second though video card. used my friends ati which had a slot one cooler. it got up to 55C hot but ok. all worked ok. so i replace the video card with the new 560 amp. 3d problem same.

so me and my friend played around with settings. and found out if there was more then ~200w load on the psu it stop supplying 12v power for split second or so thus shutting down the video card.

Yes I did leave that part out. why are you bashing the amp? just becase a few people say it gets hot. it life time waranty. I have seen the storys. about 40-50C idle and 90+C full load. mine idle way down like 20C. and no its not 560 the issue it works in other computers just fine.

corsair agrees with me so what the issue dood. Im not a noob to computer i know how to trouble shoot. also you know there are known issue with tx950. and they have stop production.

Oh ya and zotac put the vcore high not me. if they say and will waranty it who am I to argue. could be why they have the highest clocks. also all the people with heat issues also seem to have fan issues. hmmm I wonder. my fan goes to 100%. and if you cool the back of the card where there no heat sink but huge about of heat it will cool off the video card. could be why mine is running so cool.

just in case your reading the last line. the 260 works fine in other computers so does the 560. over. the pros agree and I will be getting a new power supply do to the great support team at corsair.

viperrt, I was never bashing your card, that would be like bashing a hot running CPU, it is what it is. High performance video cards need the appropriate care. Some people just throw them in any old PC case with poor ventilation, and they overheat, big surprise. The incomplete PC information you posted is what I found confusing.

The TX950 is an older design now, Corsair has moved on, but that doesn't mean it's a bad PS. If it's not enough for your PC, then that needs attention.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived