Corsair Community

Corsair HX850 Fan replacement

Big Elf

The fan on the PSU was starting to rattle so I've fitted a Noiseblocker PK2 64cfm (claimed) 140mm fan I had available. Will this provide enough sufficient cooling for the PSU or should I look for an equivalent fan to the Yate Loon D14BH-12? The reason I ask is that it's a lot quieter and I like the noise reduction but it's only delivering about half the airflow that YL claim for their fan

Average load with the current setup is about 420W with an absolute full loaded CPU and GFX at 585W.

It would probably be better to get something closer to the rated fan to be sure it stays cool enough. I guess you could just watch the temps and see if it gets really hot or not before replacing it htough

You could have RMA'd the PSU and Corsair would have replaced it for you.

It's difficult to test the temps internally. In 20ºC ambient the hottest air exiting the rear of the PSU when the system is loaded is around 34ºC. It's difficult to get a reading inside the PSU but with an infra-red thermometer I did get a 55ºC temp from one of the components inside.

The Corsair warranty is pretty much useless in the UK for large components after 12 months has passed. We have to send them to Europe at our own expense which isn't cheap and I'd have to buy another PSU to run the system until/if the PSU/Fan was replaced. Once 12 months has passed from the date of purchase the supplier directs you to the manufacturer.

I'm not familiar with your PC case, is it a top mount PS case, or is it a bottom mount PS case? If it's a bottom mount and the PS fan is only cooling the PS itself, drawing in air from under the case, rather than being a case ventilation accessory as top mounted PS's become, you'll likely be fine.

Archived