Corsair Community

my K60 review

user000

Just picked it up now..

My initial review:

The rubber dome keys are F*****G annoying.. And what's even more annoying is the fact the volume knob squeals as if tightening a screw in a rusty hole. (this can be fixed by using a lubricant) but should I have go to those lenghts in order to stop the squealing? I say NO. Its a 110$ keyboard.

For typing its totally useless without a similar wrist pad like the one that comes with the K90 keyboard.

As usual, its another overpriced and overhyped keyboard.

I am returning it...

To this day I still cant find a good replacement to my old M$ Internet Keyboard pro.

How in the world people got by typing for over a hundred years without a wrist rest is truly amazing?!

Did it come with instructions??

Let me be more specific on the typing part..

Due to the keyboard's low profile nature and the low pressure red key switches the left half of the left palm tends to lean on the left side of the keyboard a little bit. This very often causes me to not notice putting even the slightest amount of pressure on the left CTRL key and while typing it tends to not register a pressed key due to having the CTRL key pressed down as well.

So in other words, without a wrist wrest this will be a major problem when typing. When using a regular wrist pad this problem doesnt happen anymore due to the fact the upper wrist is supported by the wrist pad.

So maybe Cosair should have done a better engineering job on the side of the keyboard to include a sidewall so the palm wouldnt be able press down on the CTRL key, OR include a wrist pad.

...ah...I may not notice it as I can't even detect the action of the sniper button! Thanks for the explanation.

...did it come with instructions?

Just a pamphlet with pictures to show a noob to plug the keyboard in the back of a PC, and a warranty pamphlet.

Just picked it up now..

My initial review:

The rubber dome keys are F*****G annoying.. And what's even more annoying is the fact the volume knob squeals as if tightening a screw in a rusty hole. (this can be fixed by using a lubricant) but should I have go to those lenghts in order to stop the squealing? I say NO. Its a 110$ keyboard.

For typing its totally useless without a similar wrist pad like the one that comes with the K90 keyboard.

As usual, its another overpriced and overhyped keyboard.

I am returning it...

To this day I still cant find a good replacement to my old M$ Internet Keyboard pro.

The volume knob is totally silent on my K60, i am sure Corsair will be happy to replace it if there's a problem.

What do find annoying with the non-mechanical, rubber dome switches? Pls elaborate if you want your opinon taken seriously.

I find it amazing that it comes as a surprise to some people that this keyboard is not fully mechanical. It is clearly stated which keys are non-mechanical. If you use these keys and want them mechanical, buy another brand. Simple as that.

Yes, the cherry red switches have a very light actuation point and yes, it takes some time to get used to it. I have had my K60 for little more then a week now and first now am i starting to get the hang of it, especially the typing which was the hardest part "to get right". The light actuation point was also the reason why Corsair chose it...

i am not experiencing your problem with touching the CTRL-key. I have mine raised in the back, low in the front and i dont use the included rest for the left hand. The side, back of my hand rest on my desk and i have free room for my fingers to type/push. On the other side, i have hands the size of a toilet-seat so that might contribute.....lol. Also, wrist support in any size, form or shape can be bought in any officesupply-shop out there, at least here in the EU...

The mechanical switches are way superior over the standard dome boards, but one needs to investigate and decide what benefits you want. Remember there are several mechanical swithces with different benefits......

I find it amazing that it comes as a surprise to some people that this keyboard is not fully mechanical. It is clearly stated which keys are non-mechanical. If you use these keys and want them mechanical, buy another brand. Simple as that.

Complete crap. It is not clearly stated at all. Take a gander at these, where on the product description is it even mentioned?

Amazon

Newegg

Maybe this isn't Corsair's fault that they haven't been updated but it should have been mentioned in the first place. Even on the Corsair product page you have to go digging into the tech specs to find out that not all of the keys are mechanical. You don't buy a mechanical keyboard thinking that some keys aren't mechanical now do you?

I still have high hopes for this keyboard and I hope that I can ignore the inconsistency that the silicone domes will give.

Complete crap. It is not clearly stated at all. Take a gander at these, where on the product description is it even mentioned?

Amazon

Newegg

Maybe this isn't Corsair's fault that they haven't been updated but it should have been mentioned in the first place. Even on the Corsair product page you have to go digging into the tech specs to find out that not all of the keys are mechanical. You don't buy a mechanical keyboard thinking that some keys aren't mechanical now do you?

I still have high hopes for this keyboard and I hope that I can ignore the inconsistency that the silicone domes will give.

i don't buy anythig "thinking" or assuming something, i make sure i get enough info on the spec before i make a buying descision. i have learned this the hard way.

i dont care what newegg and amazon or any etailor put up as product-info, i would recommend anybody to go direct to the mfrs site for info and i am sorry, but i don't find i have to dig into the specs to find the info that it's not a full mechanical board, it's right there on the top.

Let's agree that we disagree on this, i dont see your point or problem at all.

So when you read "mechanical keyboard" you don't expect it to use all mechanical keys? You would be perfectly fine with a product labeled "mechanical keyboard" that had one mechanical key and the rest silicone domes. I find that hard to believe. I haven't seen the physical packaging yet, but I am willing to bet that the first batch doesn't mention the silicone domes. If I am in a store looking at a box I would expect it to give me information like that. I am not going to go home and go to the manufacturer's site to make sure that the box had everything before I buy it. The same holds true for advertisement online.

You don't care about how the product is advertised by retailers? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? So you don't mind if retailers have advertising that does not represent the product? You do realize that the retailers don't have the silicone domes in their descriptions because Corsair didn't give them that info in the first place, right? I think Corsair is a great company but it is silly to defend their mistakes.

If you look at the tech specs on the Corsair site there is even a box at the top that reads "Key Switches" which only mentions the Cherry MX switches. Implying that ALL of the switches are Cherry MX switches. Only after you read below will you find the truth. So no, it does say it right at the top.

So when you read "mechanical keyboard" you don't expect it to use all mechanical keys? You would be perfectly fine with a product labeled "mechanical keyboard" that had one mechanical key and the rest silicone domes. I find that hard to believe.

I would be fine with a product labeled "mechanical Keyboard" with only one mechanical key IF that was according to the spec of the product from the manufactorer, yes. I will though admit that i would not agree to that description if that was the case. This is not the case with the K60 as all the main keys are indeed mechanical, only the least commonly used keys are domes.

You don't care about how the product is advertised by retailers? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? So you don't mind if retailers have advertising that does not represent the product?

I do. But at the same time I 1) know that mistakes are done and 2) i want as much knowledge about a new product for my hobby as my PC with it's components is, i take great pleasure in it also.

You do realize that the retailers don't have the silicone domes in their descriptions because Corsair didn't give them that info in the first place, right? I think Corsair is a great company but it is silly to defend their mistakes.

I don't know if Corsair have witheld this information or not, all i know is that it is right there on Corsairs spec on the product.

If you look at the tech specs on the Corsair site there is even a box at the top that reads "Key Switches" which only mentions the Cherry MX switches. Implying that ALL of the switches are Cherry MX switches. Only after you read below will you find the truth. So no, it does say it right at the top.

Maybe it's just me or a language issue as english is not my mother tongue, but when i read "key switches" ï read just that; Key/main switches are Cherry red which they are, non-key/main swithches are domes.

An example from another industry:

I still remember when they advertised disc brakes on cars that only had them on the front. Even now, when a car has them all around they tend to be advertised as having four-wheel disc brakes.

It's very common in all industries and a little research always helps - Especially when dropping serious coin on something!

I'm with PeroTT on this one. My mind is boggled that people are surprised it's not fully mechanical. I don't feel that I had to search hard for additional info at any time, and yet I've been aware of this fact for quite some time prior to purchasing.

Taking it a step further, had I purchased this board not knowing the F and macro keys weren't mechanical, and found out after I received it, I STILL wouldn't make a huge fuss about it until I tried it out for a while. I'm thinking that only a very small margin of keyboard elitists who are very used to a specific Cherry type should be affected by this at all, and even then, should be the type of person that does accurate research before buying a product. Previews, reviews, forum discussions, etc. At this point it just seems like a bunch of people are jumping on a silly bandwagon.

Agree to disagree is where this should end.

If you take a look at all major retailers none of them have the info on the silicone domes. People should not have to follow blogs or go to the manufacturer's forums/site to find this out. By your logic people shopping in a store should go home for every item and verify on the internet that each item is as described in the store. Ridiculous much?

I'm with PeroTT on this one. My mind is boggled that people are surprised it's not fully mechanical. I don't feel that I had to search hard for additional info at any time, and yet I've been aware of this fact for quite some time prior to purchasing.

Please, do tell me where you found this information. Certainly not on an online retailer's product description.

I am not saying that I know the keyboard is terrible, I am willing to wait until I try it out. I am saying it is wrong how the product was misrepresented and people dismissing it will only encourage further misrepresentation. I don't like being told that a product is one way and then finding out later that it is indeed another way. It is called false advertising and it is illegal in most developed countries. Apparently you guys are fine with that though.

If any of you own the keyboard I would like to know if the box mentions the silicone dome keys. Would be interesting to find out.

I will though admit that i would not agree to that description if that was the case. This is not the case with the K60 as all the main keys are indeed mechanical, only the least commonly used keys are domes.

So... you agree with me but you disagree with me? You admitted yourself that the retailers do not have this information. How convenient it is to dismiss evidence that isn't supportive. I am no expert on languages but in my experience the few languages that I studied in school didn't have different words for "main keys on a keyboard" and "keys less used on a keyboard". In English "Key Switches" alone implies ALL key switches, not just some.

I would be fine with a product labeled "mechanical Keyboard" with only one mechanical key IF that was according to the spec of the product from the manufactorer, yes. I will though admit that i would not agree to that description if that was the case. This is not the case with the K60 as all the main keys are indeed mechanical, only the least commonly used keys are domes.
Just to clarify, do you think the dome switch keys are actualy better? Or do you just "not mind, because those keys aren't used often"?

Just to clarify, do you think the dome switch keys are actualy better? Or do you just "not mind, because those keys aren't used often"?

I don't mind because i hardly use those keys.

Those who do use them and want them mechanical need to look at a different keyboard.

And those who feel "bad" or "mislead" or whatever needs to take their complaints elsewhere, either direct to Corsair or to the retailer. Bashing other members who have a different opinion will not solve the problem for you or make the dome-keys on the K60 mechanical.

i agree to dissagree on this matter, this is my final comment on this issue.

Those who do use them and want them mechanical need to look at a different keyboard.

And those who feel "bad" or "mislead" or whatever needs to take their complaints elsewhere, either direct to Corsair or to the retailer. Bashing other members who have a different opinion will not solve the problem for you or make the dome-keys on the K60 mechanical.

i agree to dissagree on this matter, this is my final comment on this issue.

They have been informed yet they still have not changed (except for that one line on the Corsair tech spec page). This is a forum for the keyboard i.e. a place to discuss the product (including marketing). It is exactly where all the suggestions for improvements belong. I have yet to encounter a valid argument for the information on the silicone domes being withheld. So far all I have seen is "let's just drop it" and comments that just conflict themselves. What does that imply?

Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance, MMO hybrid/Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

That a better way or naming it.

just looked at 4 websites here in the uk and none say its a hybrid or that some dont have backlighting.

And i can understand as it would turn a lot away from buying it.

All in the way you market stuff :-)

So, you are saying it isn't actually better to use dome switches on those keys.

And those who feel "bad" or "mislead" or whatever needs to take their complaints elsewhere, either direct to Corsair or to the retailer.
That's one reason why I'm here.

But Corsair seem convinced that the dome switches on those keys are a good idea, as opposed to something that people would just 'tolerate'.

So I asked that question to show corsair that people don't think it is a "good idea".

Bashing other members who have a different opinion will not solve the problem for you or make the dome-keys on the K60 mechanical.
Who is bashing anyone?

I'm just trying to demonstrate to Corsair that people don't think it's actually better.

Archived