Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 and 4 x CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9?

PTh

Hello,

My system works fine with 2 Corsair Vengeance sticks (8GB), but when I add another 2 it gives out loads of CRC errors, causing programs like McAfee Total Security to think that they have been corrupted.

Both pairs of sticks work fine when they are installed on their own, it just appears that 16GB is more than the motherboard/CPU can take.

My system spec is in my signature and the 850W PSU should be well big enough to take the strain.

I currently have a call outstanding with Gigabyte, but as of yet, they have not really suggested anything of any use. It looks like it might be something to do with the voltage levels that the motherboard assigns, via its XMP profile for the RAM, but if I could get some recommended settings for those voltages, I would just enter those manually and ignore the motherboard's apparently misguided view of what they should be. It may be that Gigabyte will update the BIOS to correct this in a future version, but I currently have the latest version, so they haven't solved it yet.

Another possibility is that the 1866MHz speed needs to be reduced, but perhaps obviously, I would see doing that as a very unattractive option.

Could somebody please give me a clue as to how I might get my rig working with 16GB installed?

Mixing kits like that is not suggested or supported by Corsair. Two sets of the EXACT same part number can clash with another. Memory is packaged and sold in matched kits for this very reason. And with the newer CPU's having the IMC on the CPU itself it is very important to purchase the capacity you desire right off the bat and not try to add later. Meaning you should have bought a matched 16 gig kit vs two 8's I bet both kits run just fine by them selves, but not together? Oooops wait you already posted that! Sorry!

With that chipset you really cant bump the module voltage any. But you could try to add a little bit of QPI(memory controller voltage) It may be called VCCIO in your BIOS Just add a tick or two and see if that helps. When you populate all the memory slots it puts added strain on the memory controller,hence the bump in VCCIO.

Another possibility is that the 1866MHz speed needs to be reduced, but perhaps obviously, I would see doing that as a very unattractive option.

Thats a very good option actually. Your issues could also be that your CPU's memory controller just wont overclcok that high. I would at least give it a try to lower to 1600mhz and see if it is more stable.

Your issues could also be that your CPU's memory controller just wont overclcok that high. I would at least give it a try to lower to 1600mhz and see if it is more stable.

Please forgive me if i'm being a noob, but if my CPU's memory controller wont overclock that high, why will it work at that speed for 8GB? Surely, if it were a processor issue, it would act the same with 8GB as it does with 16GB.

Surely, if it were a processor issue, it would act the same with 8GB as it does with 16GB.

Not necessarily. More sticks is more strain on the memory controller. It may be strong enough to run two sticks at that speed , but not quite strong enough to run all four.

Thats why i suggested to bump the memory controller voltage up a tick or two to see if that helps.

Archived