Corsair Community

Coil Whine in a bit to old HX520W

sgtspiff

So

I built a new system with my old PSU (bought about 5 years ago).

As the load is the same as the old computer.

The problem is I get coil whine from the PSU when my SSD is IDLE (the coild whine dissapears when the SSD loads (like gaming)).

First I thought it was the SSD but then through reading alot I discovered they don't coil whine at all.

I've already disconnected everything that could make sounds (like fans and the HDD and stuff).

Now...

Usually RMA would be a good choice to act on. But the very good and very long warranty on Corsair PSU started like 6 months after I bought my HX520W.

I really don't wan't to buy a new PSU as the one I got has served me so well over the years. And my girlfriend is a bit upset over the budget on the new PC.

Is there anything I could do?

I've already disabled EIST and C1E.

I really don't wan't to buy a new PSU as the one I got has served me so well over the years. And my girlfriend is a bit upset over the budget on the new PC.

Is there anything I could do?

Yeh, get rid of the girl friend!:p:

Seriously, there really isn't anything that can be done about coil whine except replace it.

Yeh, get rid of the girl friend!:p:

Seriously, there really isn't anything that can be done about coil whine except replace it.

Get rid of the girl that helped me pay the PC... nono bad idea.

So this glue thing. How do you do that and how do you now which transistor to cover?

You're supposed to be able to cover the capacitators in hot glue (non conductive) and thereby stop the vibrating and voila no coil whine.

Will crush any warranty possibilities... but don't have any so either it help or destroy the psu. Will need a new one anyway.

Archived