Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2 + A7N8X-E + 9800 Pro Crashes

BISHOP

I've been having a lot of problems with games (FarCry, BF Vietnam) locking up, exiting to the desktop, blue screens, and recently VPM(U?) Recover errors. At first I thought that is was memory related, altering the memory timings seemed to alleviate some errors but started giving me ATI video errors. Swaped out the video card and the RAM with hardware from a friends computer and everything seemed to run smooth. However, my friends computer yeilded the same erros when the 9800 Pro and the XMS512-3200C2 were used together. Things i've tried include flashing the BIOS to 1011, Changing the DDR voltage to 2.7, reinstalling drivers.. think that's about it...I don't know if there is a known compatibility issue with the video card and that model memory? I've also read things about bumping up the AGP voltage. Any information at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Dan A7N8X-E Athlon XP 3000+ "Barton" ASUS Radeon 9800 Pro 2x512 Corsair CMX512-3200C2

I would suggest testing the RAM with the test from [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] . Also, test each stick seperately at stock speed, no turbo and up to but not over, 2.8v. Run each stick seperately for about 5 passes. Since you and your buddy are swapping parts around, I'd test the RAM in both machines but, keep the video cards as they are for now. If you move the RAM and video cards at the same time and you get errors, you will not be able to tell which component is giving the errors. Mike.

It would appear that I am having the same troubles others are having on this board... namely Bimkif. The CMX512-3200C2, Athlon XP 3200+, A7N8X-E combination seems to trigger the problem. Both sticks of memory pass Memtest86 individually with flying colors when used in [B][COLOR=Green]slot 3[/COLOR][/B] at 200MHz FSB. However, when either of these sticks are placed in [B][COLOR=Red]slots 1 or 2[/COLOR][/B] at 200MHz FSB, memtest immediatley begins reporting errors. Dropping the FSB from 200MHz to 195MHz alleviates all of the instability as well as the ATI errors I was getting. Right now I'm running in slots 1 and 3 @ 195 FSB with 2.5-3-3-6 timings and 2.7 DIM Voltage. I've been reading a lot about this problem and I think it's safe to say that there definatley is an incompatibility here. The latest BIOS version 1011 does not correct this problem. Hopefully future versions will. For now I'll just keep the FSB at 195, can't imagine this will have a huge impact on performance, but is there anything I can tweak in order to make up for whatever performance I do loose? (CPU Multiplier?) Thanks again all for you're help, hope I can get all this straigtend out :confused: -Dan

Just a quick correction to my last post, problems only seem to occur when memory is used in slot 1, any combination of slot 1 and another slot causes trouble at 200MHz. Haven't had trouble with slot 2. ;):

• Corsair Employees
Please see this post on [URL=http://www.asusforums.org/showthread.php?t=530&page=5&pp=15]ASUSForums.org[/URL] and read the second to last post. In addition after you flash the bios I would load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts a then set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 as well. In addition, the fact that both modules run with out problems in slots 3 suggest there may be some other problem, but if you can test them in another Mb that may help identify the problem!

Archived