Corsair Community

Overclocking, air and stuff

Howie666

Hi there. I know this is a well documented subject, but I'd like to know how far I can overclock my new build? I have the i7 930 running at 3.2Ghz on the Fenris Titan cooler with a triple channel 12GB Corsair memory kit at 1600Mhz. Can I make it go faster with my present cooler? Would it be possible to reach 4Ghz with one of the liquid cooling cpu solutions? would I see a big difference if I overclock the memory?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you folks think. Thanks in advance!

Yes , you can very well reach 4 ghz with the present cooler, but ensure the graphic card, mobo and USB are getting well ventilated, . If u are looking only at 4 ghz then ur current water cooling

Ng block is sufficient, but if u are looking at the range of 4 to 4.8 then I would suggest go in for h100 , or equalant water block. Since h100 and all water block from corsair or fully sealed unit it will be plug and play in installation. Also if u can put in more info omn your mobo, CPU details it will be easy to suggestion on OC

I have same mobo as yours, with saber tooth board, you can u turbo mode in the bios, that it self will give u 4 ghz, with air cooling, but I HAVE A CONCERN. ABOUY YOUR PSU , it only shows 650 watts, it will be the week link in your otherwise great spec, considering you have 580 in SLI 930 EXTEREME CPU, I WOULD SUGGEST IF YOU CONSIDERING OVERCLOCKING AND PLAYING GAMES , PLS upgrade , OTHER WISE FOR NORMAL OCCASIONAL GAMING 65o watts is sufficient.. I'm experiencing Temp in graphic card and USB 3. So take care

Hi there and thanks for the advice. I should clarify that I only (!) have the one 580 - the 'twin' bit refers to the model type - the MSI Twin-Frozr II... I see what you mean about the psu but I took my time and some good advice, read the reviews etc. It is an OCZ ZT series psu that came highly recommended. I am in fact inclined to go for one of the liquid cpu-coolers. I've already added two extra roof fans to the case and I'm planning on adding another one in the base so air flow shouldn't be a problem!

I'm quite keen to benchmark the beast at 4Ghz!

• 2 weeks later...
Overclocking your ram will do very little, especially if you're only gaming it will do nothing... Even the worst binned 920/930 D0s I've seen do 4ghz at 1.36vcore and 1.33qpi/vtt... Most will do it under 1.3vcore easily... If you have 6 slots filled (6x2gb modules) you will very likely need a higher qpi/vtt... With a single 580 you won't see much difference in games, running sli/xfire is when cpu overclocking really becomes necessary ;):

Overclocking your ram will do very little, especially if you're only gaming it will do nothing... Even the worst binned 920/930 D0s I've seen do 4ghz at 1.36vcore and 1.33qpi/vtt... Most will do it under 1.3vcore easily... If you have 6 slots filled (6x2gb modules) you will very likely need a higher qpi/vtt... With a single 580 you won't see much difference in games, running sli/xfire is when cpu overclocking really becomes necessary ;):

Thanks for your advice. Is there a way of finding out if I have a 'bad' binned 930 D0?

not really just start overclocking it... with i5/7s i find knowing you bsod codes is the most important thing, most common are a ...101 for vcore and ...124 for qpi/vtt. If you get anything other than those two your usually way out... for 930, depending on your ram throw it right to 1.65v and stock timings and I'd try setting qpi/vtt to 1.3-1.35 then work on clock and vcore till you get something nice and stable then start dropping qpi/vtt at .025v increments and then retesting... This is just results I've had from overclocking 5-6 i5/7s personally. I'd read deep into a guide before starting then once u start ull find your easy/shortcut way of doing things. Google is your best friend when overclocking :D:

Archived