Corsair Community

Normal read/write speeds on a ssd 120

Jamestee

Hi guys,

I’m new at forums so please bare with me.

I’ve installed 120g force 3 ssd on my x58 mobo but I’m only getting around 380 read and 250 write.

My question is, is this normal typical speed? As i was hoping to get closer to what it states on the box.

I’ve made sure the controller in the bios is set to ahci and that I have the right sata cable and its plugged into the right port and I have the latest driver on the mobo and firmware on the ssd.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for your reply,

Ive heard that marvell need to catch up with there drivers, is there any other driver i can use?

Was even looking to put an sata 3 card on my board to see if i could get better speed from it,

Sorry for the Noob question

A new driver will never fix the Marvell SATA chips speed issues. It is implemented on all mother boards with one PCI-E lane (as Marvell suggests) which has a maximum speed of 5Gb/s, yes Five Giga-bits per second. The Option ROM of the Marvell 91xx chipsets clearly displays "... 5Gb/s..." on two different boards I have.

How do mother board manufactures get away with advertising the Marvell SATA interface as 6Gb/s? Not to mention Marvell clearly stating in their documentation that it only needs one PCI-E lane?

Mother board manufactures used the Marvell chip like this on socket 1366 boards, and continued to do so on socket 1155 boards. They also continue to label it as a SATA 6Gb/s interface, except when the Option ROM states it is 5Gb/s. Any attorneys out there interested in starting a class action lawsuit?

SO what you saying that i would never get my top speed from my SSD on the board plus with the crap Marvel firmware.

SO would it be possible to put a pci card on my board with sats 3, and if so would i get better speed or would it be worth paying the extra for one?

Thanks

SO would it be possible to put a pci card on my board with sats 3, and if so would i get better speed or would it be worth paying the extra for one?

Most of the PCIe SATA cards are using Marvell chipsets, so you won't gain more speed with this. Using native Intel SATA ports is recommended. In this case, a new mobo and cpu would be cheaper than an Intel SATA RAID card (above 600 EUR/800 USD).

Most of the PCIe SATA cards are using Marvell chipsets, so you won't gain more speed with this. Using native Intel SATA ports is recommended. In this case, a new mobo and cpu would be cheaper than an Intel SATA RAID card (above 600 EUR/800 USD).

Ive just upgraded my mobo as well to the one i have at the mo, guess ive picked the wrong board.

Just wanted to be able to use the full spec of the SSD i purchased as i bought this mobo thinking i would get that.

What test are you using to determine your speed?

Here is a copy of a test I just did using ATTO.

My SSD the Corsair Force 3 120 GB is running over 500 MB / SEC both read and write.

Sorry for the quality, I used the camera in my Xoom tablet because it uploads right to Photobucket with no hassle. Easier then using screen capture and pasting into PSP and then saving it before uploading.

I think you can see it though.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/arizwillie/IMG_20111214_155847.jpg[/img]"]http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz85/arizwillie/IMG_20111214_155847.jpg

Im too using ATTO to test my speeds, 400 read and 250 write, very poor but i now have a better understanding of why and now have settled on the fact i wont get much better unless i change my mobo from gigabyte, i wont because i just purchased it.

Archived