Corsair Community

Proposal for a version 2 (Advance) version of the Corsair 600T and 650D case

Grindstein

After I have built a total off 8 computers in these case, I formed me a picture of improvements Corsair could have done in a future upgrade of these products. The following improvements have been a sure boost for these two products.

1: Modular interface for internal USB3 and 1394 cables.

2: USB3 cable with a connector for connecting directly to the motherboard's internal contact.

3: Hot sweep bays for all HDD bays with SATA3 (6GB) interface.

4: Mounting SSD without tools.

The point of modular interface for USB3 and 1394 cable is that it is not all that have / use them, so you do not need to think about finding space and organize them in the case.

1: Modular interface for internal USB3 and 1394 cables.

No, rather not. It adds more signal quality loss. If you don't need them [the cables], leave them behind the motherboard tray, in a optical bay or cut them off.

2: USB3 cable with a connector for connecting directly to the motherboard's internal contact.

Yeah

3: Hot sweep bays for all HDD bays with SATA3 (6GB) interface.

No, don't like having my HDD ripped out at LAN parties

4: Mounting SSD without tools.

Couldn't care less for that one.

5. Add a decent lock

6. 10mm additional space behind the front fan to allow for 30mm fans without removing the HDD racks

7. Position the top fan more to the rear, so the airflow will actually go over the motherboard instead of straight up and out just behind the opticals

8. Add e-Sata

- change 1394 to e-sata (who needs a 1394? i only know from one sound-engeneer for a mixer)

-a lock system is a good idea

-5mm additional space at the backside (the backside doesnt close perfectly (the front also) i try to attach some pictures later)

-the quality of the plexiglas-window isnt really good

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/TTSjASLRIP.jpg

- a additional dust-filter for the 120 fan (for the hydro fans)

650D: My Case

-Add 15mm in width, and allocate it to the back for wire management. (I have tri-SLI and custom sleeved cables. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE!! And the back panel still bulges out after some pro tips and many hours of work.)

-Add 30mm minimum in case height, gives more room for rads up top. Right now you can only fit a push OR pull 30mm rad. Having the extra 30mm leaves room for either a thicker rad or push pull on a slim rad.

-That hotswap bay on top is not really useful (to me anyways, and certainly not with USB 3.0 out). It also encombers a 140.2 rad up top, and you have to take it out. Either come out with a replacement to cover up the hole or remove it completely.

-MAKE A PROPER FRONT PANEL CONNECTOR WITH USB 3.0!!!! Those wires buldging out back look aweful in an otherwise beautiful case.

-A solution for the rear panel for wire management would be to take out a side panel like the 500R.

500R: My GF's case

I have yet to work with it much, but I will be installing one 120.2 and a 120.1 with a 560 HK block and a Raystorm block. I'll be able to tell you how it works in January.

Future cases: 900D??

For ultimate water cooling enthusiasts I guess.

-Two PSU's placements.

-120.4 for the top.

-140.3 or 120.4 for bottom.

-6 x 5.25" bays (will support dual loop/dual reservoirs, DVD and Fan controller. 5 is one short)

Actually, maybe look into the STH10 to get ideas... =P

http://www.caselabs.net/sth10/sth10-800d.jpg

Edit:

Or even bigger if you wish... but the bar is pretty high now...

http://cdn.overclock.net/5/56/501x700px-LL-566473c1_305722_283655551673124_177984762240204_759136_1538132929_n.jpeg

650D:

-MAKE A PROPER FRONT PANEL CONNECTOR WITH USB 3.0!!!! Those wires buldging out back look aweful in an otherwise beautiful case.

i dont have usb3 on mainboard, its a good solution for me now

if you have a connector use a usb 3.0 to 20pin-female adapter (UC-01)

that another idea for the 650D v2:

- add a usb onboard converter

• 3 months later...

• The front fan(s) should be replaceable with 2 120mm or 2 140mm fans just like the top.
  • The front fan(s) should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
  • The rear fan should be up-gradable to a 140mm fan.
  • The rear fan should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
  • The top fan(s) should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
  • Optional foam kit for silencing the computer, again like the ones you used on the 550D.
  • Make the fan speed switch removable for those who use all on board fan controllers. We don't want the extra wires.
  • Team up with Noctua, and make all of their fans Black.

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 cents from a 600T perspective user.

• The front fan(s) should be replaceable with 2 120mm or 2 140mm fans just like the top.
    - I sign up for this!
  • The front fan(s) should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
    - There is one already
  • The rear fan should be up-gradable to a 140mm fan.
    - The case would have to be wider then, no?
  • The rear fan should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
    - It's an exhaust in 90% of the cases, if you're in that 10% you can apply $4 filter yourself...
  • The top fan(s) should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
    - Same as above
  • Optional foam kit for silencing the computer, again like the ones you used on the 550D.
    - It's already there, not from Corsair, 3rd party, but it's there.
  • Make the fan speed switch removable for those who use all on board fan controllers. We don't want the extra wires.
    - Modular front panel cables, that's already been suggested, I'm against that - each and every connection degrades the signal, impacts the voltage etc. There's plenty of space to hide all the wires in the world in those cases.
  • Team up with Noctua, and make all of their fans Black.
    - Increased base cost, just like with the rear filter, I'm against that too

My own suggestion:

- optional plastic bracket, that fits into the 5,25" bays and locks into the quick-lock system - for mounting 120mm or 200mm (if possible) fans.

Similar to the bracket that has been used in older 600T cases for the front 200mm fan, but in one piece.

My 3 cents from a 600T perspective user.

- I sign up for this!

Agreed.

The front fan(s) should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
- There is one already
The rear fan should be up-gradable to a 140mm fan.
- The case would have to be wider then, no?

Mmmm. Maybe. The case is pretty wide enough to support a 140mm. I could be wrong though.

The rear fan should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
- It's an exhaust in 90% of the cases, if you're in that 10% you can apply $4 filter yourself...
The top fan(s) should have a dust filter on it. (Like the ones used on the 550D.)
- Same as above

I lol'd at these. Because it's true.

Optional foam kit for silencing the computer, again like the ones you used on the 550D.
- It's already there, not from Corsair, 3rd party, but it's there.

Agreed.

Make the fan speed switch removable for those who use all on board fan controllers. We don't want the extra wires.
- Modular front panel cables, that's already been suggested, I'm against that - each and every connection degrades the signal, impacts the voltage etc. There's plenty of space to hide all the wires in the world in those cases.

I agree with this as well. Besides, why would you want to get rid of the fan controller? That's four more fans that you can control, given if you have occupied all of the motherboard fan headers. Plus adjustable speeds on the fly without the use of third party software. The more options, the better. Why limit yourself?

Team up with Noctua, and make all of their fans Black.
- Increased base cost, just like with the rear filter, I'm against that too

Yeah the cases cost enough as it is. Lets not increase cost.

My own suggestion:

- optional plastic bracket, that fits into the 5,25" bays and locks into the quick-lock system - for mounting 120mm or 200mm (if possible) fans.

Similar to the bracket that has been used in older 600T cases for the front 200mm fan, but in one piece.

Kinda like the plastic bracket that houses a optional 120mm that attached itself to the HDD cage of the 902?

You mean "half-decent retailers" or "half of the decent retailers"? :D

But I agree, that why I said "It's an exhaust in 90% of the cases, if you're in that 10% you can apply $4 filter yourself...". There are plenty to choose from in all shapes, sizes and colors...

Why complicated to much. If someone want filter buy Demciflex I use 200mm on front fan. That is best to avoid dust in case.

Obsidian 650D need front I/O panel with short internal USB 3.0 cables in shop-case parts. This cables makes problems if someone buy adapter.

Too much space need for long USB 3.0 cables like now.

That is VERY IMPORTANT and I don't know why CORSAIR avoid to make that.

No need for case revision or something else. Put that part in shop and that's it. Make some 2-3 HDD drawer special for SSD to look good same like new parts in shop and if someone wants something special tools in hand and mod for self.

Case is perfect for me on first look you have everything you need on good place, and best options for every componets but if someone want can find 100 little things to change but that spoils Obsidian look. Internal USB 3.0 is IMPORTANT but for that CORSAIR need to make whole front I/O panel with all other cables.

Dust filters on the top fan slot and rear fan slot on the 650D would be great. Corsair recommends that you use the 120mm fan slot as an intake for the H80 and having a dust filter would be nice. Also if you're using the top fans for a positive pressure setup, then they would be well used.

If you don't need the filters (using these fan slots as exhausts) then don't use them.

The top fan slots can be filtered with a DEMCIflex filter (kind of expensive) and the 120mm Slot is shaped kind of weird and finding a suitable filter might be difficult. Having Corsair made filters would ensure easy fitment and I'm sure, not much cost to the final product.

Just some ideas, otherwise I am quite happy with my 650D.

I know its a bit of a stretch, but XL-ATX support would be awesome!!:p:

I've been shopping around for XL-ATX cases, and it's bleak. Mountain Mods, Case-Labs, DD, have wonderful cases for enthusiasts, but way to gaudy for me. I am also aware of the 800d obviously, but like many, many people I love the design of the 600t.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on an 810 Switch but only buy default.

It's either that or mod a 600t.

• 1 month later...

For me, the case is almost perfect, and some of you have great ideas for improvements, but things I would like to see, is first off.

If Corsair can't make the USB3 header properly internal, then provide an adapter with the case which would do just that.

Like someone else said, add about another 30mm of space up top for a thicker radiator or for internal push/pull fans on a H100.

Make the space at the front underneath the optical drive bays about 30/40mm bigger in height too for fitting of a 240mm rad, with holes drilled out for fitting of 2x120mm fans, or make the bottom 5.25 bay with a slot cut out of the bottom to facilitate a 240mm rad.

Shift the HDD bays back towards the power supply by about 10mm for fitting of thicker fans.

And add rubber washers to the screw points of the side panel window to prevent the creaking that some have noticed.

Other than those areas (and most of those suggestions are really only for those looking to watercool) it's an amazing case, absolutely stunning, and so far I'm delighted with the looks and build quality.

For me, the case is almost perfect, and some of you have great ideas for improvements, but things I would like to see, is first off.

Agree with that.

If Corsair can't make the USB3 header properly internal, then provide an adapter with the case which would do just that.

This is so absolutely true.

Like someone else said, add about another 30mm of space up top for a thicker radiator or for internal push/pull fans on a H100.

Make the space at the front underneath the optical drive bays about 30/40mm bigger in height too for fitting of a 240mm rad, with holes drilled out for fitting of 2x120mm fans, or make the bottom 5.25 bay with a slot cut out of the bottom to facilitate a 240mm rad.

This comes together nicely. Right now it might be possible to mount a 200mm Radiator, but for this i'd have to rework some stuff. A 180mm or a 140mm will fit easily. So two 120mm fans (in combination with a rad) are a nice idea.

Shift the HDD bays back towards the power supply by about 10mm for fitting of thicker fans.

Yeah, that would be a good thing.

Going back to the filter for the top. I've been trying for more than a week now to get hold of a big filter (aka like the one from demciflex). Nope, not available here, and the price to get one here is way too much (already tried that).

So i'm forced to piece it together with smaller ones - but i'm not so sure if i'm going to like the result. Anyway, i'm all for a top filter!

I know you can fit a 200mm rad up front, but even that is a tight fit according to some, and the choice of 200mm rads and fans isn't that great, so having the extra choice would be great :)

There is one thing you can do with regards to a filter, it's not very elegant but it does work, and that's taking women's black coloured tights/nylon stockings/whatever you want to call them, and cut out the shape you want and make a frame to attach the piece to and then fit it where you want in a way it can't be seen on the case, but it is a very ghetto solution xD

But you're right, it would be nice to have a proper filter up top, even though fitting fans up there as intake is working against the laws of physics, and exhaust would be better imo ^___^

But good luck on finding a filter, I'm sure something will turn up eventually :)

Archived