Corsair Community

SSD & Vengeance memory pagefile question

DangerClose

I'm wondering, since I'm running Win7 x64 on my new Force GT SSD, and I'm running 16GB of Quad Channel memory, should I disable the Win7 pagefile? Would I see a performance increase? I am also using a 10k hard drive on the same system, should I move the pagefile to that drive?

Yes, you could run without a pagefile present on that SSD drive or any drive for that matter. However, you'll lose Windows Error Logging on that drive and System Restore. Usually, not a good idea. Neither is the idea of moving the pagefile to another drive. Technically the pagefile does more than just act as virtual memory. Just about every application you install will try to store a small peice of themselves into the page file when you install the program. Certain applications won't run at all or will crash if a pagefile is not present. In the aforementioned excellent sticky Wired pointed to, DavyC advises setting the minimum value to 1GB and the maximum value to 2GB. This will work fine with his 8GB of system RAM; however, if you don't set both the minimum and maximum values to an equal value, Windows will be continually checking to see if it needs to adjust the size of the pagefile, the exact same behavior it exhibits if you put a checkmark in the box to "allow system to manage size." This costs a bit of Cpu resources and time, hindering performance a smidgin. I have 8GB's of RAM, I set both my minimum and maximum values to 1GB. Doing so prevents Windows from continually checking to see if it needs to adjust the pagefile or not. Windows operating systems will always attempt to use physical RAM space before using virtual memory space in the pagefile. If Windows ever runs into the situation where it needs more virtual space in the pagefile it will pop up a warning saying that it needs to expand the size of the page file; it knows how to do this automatically. This was more relevant when systems only came equiped with tiny amounts of RAM. Nowadays, not so much. With 1GB set for the pagefile size, minimum and maximum, I've never seen that warning pop up and am unlikely to. If it ever does show up, I'll just bump up the pagefile size a bit. Since you have 16GB's of RAM, I'd set the minimum and maximum sizes to 500MB. I doubt you'll ever need to touch that setting again. As an additional note, on systems with sufficient quantities of RAM or better, most of the virtual memory space within the pagefile just sits there doing nothing. It isn't being written too or read from. Think that about covers it.

Yes, you could run without a pagefile present on that SSD drive or any drive for that matter. However, you'll lose Windows Error Logging on that drive and System Restore...

Hmm, I have no pagefile creation enabled or pagefile existing on my SSD OS drive, and I was able to create a restore point on it just fine, no complaints from Windows.

Disabling the pagefile won't increase performance, but will free-up the space that the pagefile would have otherwise used. This was suggested for small capacity SSDs used as OS drives, simply to give the owner as much space on it as possible.

Archived