Corsair Community

Bad Ram? CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 showing errors in Memtest

Vanel

I have a pair of CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 4x2gb ram, bought in Oct. from Amazon.

This is a brand new PC built entirely with brand new parts, almost all of the them Corsair.

I've been having bluescreens the last 1-2 weeks. The last 72 hours they've gotten substantially worse, and the system is completely unstable. Any app using a med/large amount of RAM consistently crashes, the bluescreens are less common but also less predictable.

I decided to try memtest since several of the bluescreens mentioned "memory_management". I reset the bios to all default settings before I ran memtest.

This is a memtest with both dimms installed -

http://i.imgur.com/FBL4S.jpg

This is a memtest with only one stick installed -

http://i.imgur.com/2LyFx.png

I've run a quick memtest with only the second stick installed, first pass was clear, but I plan on running it overnight for 6-8 hours to be sure.

I'm no memtest expert, but I'm guessing the RAM is to blame judging by these memtest results? Also having just the second stick installed I haven't had any crashes yet.

*update - using PC over an hour, no crashes, everything points to one bad stick at this point I suppose.

It's pretty cut and dry . One stick has errors and the other does not. RMA the kit.

I'd have to agree at this point, 4 hours later and not a single app crash after removing the other stick of RAM. Firefox was crashing like an ***hole, every 10 mins with both sticks in.

I'm still gonna run memtest on the "working" stick just for my own curiosity and then look into the RMA process.

I wasn't sure if the memtest info was relevant to anything, I'm an experienced builder, but never had bad memory before.

It does happen from time to time. Just the nature of the beast so to say.

The RMA process is pretty painless. Just use the link to the left and requet an RMA. That will get the ball rolling.

I wasn't sure if the memtest info was relevant to anything, I'm an experienced builder, but never had bad memory before.

Memtest is about the only utility that Corsair uses to test stability with. It's the best out there!

Archived