Corsair Community

HX1000W issue? Opinions please.

Magel282

Hi guys,

Awhile back I posted a thread regarding my PSU and the issue I had I got sorted. However. Lately I have been having an issue where the computer go blank screen with the fans going 100%. Can happen in games or even at idle.

Just before I left the computer for a while and moved the mouse and the screen woke and then it did the above. Could this be a sign of a possible PSU problem?

I can't check dump files because it doesn't generate any. Simply fully crashes. Have all latest drivers, BIOS etc etc etc..

It very well could be a PSU .I just went through this my self. It was the 3.3v rail that went bad in mine and it did the same thing. Eventually getting to the point while even browsing the screen would go blank and the fan would go to 100% and stick there untill you rebooted the machine.

What are your voltages being read as in your BIOS?

Ok guys here are my voltages. I have a multimeter but its old and needs replacing. It's reporting incorrect voltages on known sources. Best I can do at this point is post what the BIOS is reporting until I can get another -

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/126/voltages.jpg

The 3.3v seems a bit odd.. Only reporting 3.05v. Is that normal? Is this what your computer was reporting peanutz94 when you had issues?

Cheers

EDIT: remembered I had an PSU tester. Don't know how accurate they are.. Plugged in the 24 pin connection and all but the -5v connection lights up. Don't know if it should or if the light isn't working.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7133/psuv.jpg

The 3.3v seems a bit odd.. Only reporting 3.05v. Is that normal? Is this what your computer was reporting peanutz94 when you had issues?

Yuppers, exactly. In my case it started out about there and eventually got down to 2.97. Then it would crash just like you described...Screen would go blank and the GPU fan went to 100 percent and stayed there until you rebooted. I actually PM'd parsec about this before i replaced the PSU just to make sure i wasn't missing something. He's pretty sharp on PSU"s

Yuppers, exactly. In my case it started out about there and eventually got down to 2.97. Then it would crash just like you described...Screen would go blank and the GPU fan went to 100 percent and stayed there until you rebooted. I actually PM'd parsec about this before i replaced the PSU just to make sure i wasn't missing something. He's pretty sharp on PSU"s

What you described is exactly what my computer does. Hopefully I'll be able to get a multimeter this weekend and report back.

Ok so I have gotten a multimeter and here are the results. Tested the 24pin connector.

Pin 1-3.37v

Pin2- 3.37v

Pin4- 5.14v

Pin9- 5.16v

Pin10- 12.11v

Pin11- 12.11v

Pin12- 3.37v

Pin13- 3.31v

Pin14- -12.19v

Pin21- 5.14v

Pin22- 5.14v

Pin23- 5.14v

All voltages seem normal correct? The connecters in the case are consistent with the above results. Only difference I noticed in the BIOS was the reporting of the 3.3v. The other day as in the pic above it was 3.045v but as bellow its 3.20v. Actual is 3.37v

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8111/psubnew.jpg

So can I rule out the PSU at this point?

Thanks.

You may have "fixed" it by reconnecting your cables, that's really all that you did, although just to do the testing, right? That can help with a bad connection.

OTOH, if you tested the voltages with the ATX cable in your hand (hard to do it otherwise) that was under a no-load condition, which could change when it is connected to the PC again. It did look better in the BIOS, so that is a good sign. So watch that voltage, even if it is not perfectly accurate, you can see if it drops. If your problem black screen happens again, it's likely the PS, or gremlins are messing with your cables... :eek:

You may have "fixed" it by reconnecting your cables, that's really all that you did, although just to do the testing, right? That can help with a bad connection.

OTOH, if you tested the voltages with the ATX cable in your hand (hard to do it otherwise) that was under a no-load condition, which could change when it is connected to the PC again. It did look better in the BIOS, so that is a good sign. So watch that voltage, even if it is not perfectly accurate, you can see if it drops. If your problem black screen happens again, it's likely the PS, or gremlins are messing with your cables... :eek:

That's what I was thinking, gremlins are definitely number one on my list of suspects ;).

I did some stress testing today with OCCT and memtest and it didn't miss a beat. Even ran fine with 3d mark vantage. I guess all I can do is wait for it to happen again. Is there a chance the board could be suspect? Its getting on too 3 years of age and just wondering if a capacitor could be going sour or something..

Also how much warranty do these PSU's have? I purchased it on the 24/03/2009.

Cheers

Just an update on my situation. I ran another test of OCCT PSU tester and got a crash after 20mins. I did get a blue screen which pointed to GRAPHICS_DRIVER_TDR_FAULT and Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+c3bae4 ).

While at full load I tested my voltages on the 24 pin and are as follows-

Pin13- 3.30v

Pin 12- 3.22v

Pin 2- 3.25v

Pin 1- 3.24v

Voltages at no load after the crash are as follows-

Pin 13- 3.33v

Pin 12- 3.28v

Pin 2- 3.29v

Pin 1- 3.32v

Video card was @ 90 degrees as I was watching when it crashed.

TDR error's should be fixed in next driver from nvidia according to ManuelG , that particular chestnut has been going a LOOOOONG time .

This was the first crash in a while that produced the TDR blue screen so I don't know if the other crashes were for the same reason.

Do the voltage drops look normal at load?

This was the first crash in a while that produced the TDR blue screen so I don't know if the other crashes were for the same reason.

Do the voltage drops look normal at load?

From what you have posted you do not have any real noticeable "drop". You are talking very small amounts and not enough to effect anything

From what you have posted you do not have any real noticeable "drop". You are talking very small amounts and not enough to effect anything

Ok thanks. I can at least rule out the PSU at this point.

EDIT:

Could some one with a HX1000W or a rep tell me if they have the same cable cut in the picture bellow? Just noticed it before when I was taking a second look inside the PSU though the fan grill. You can see it through the top left of the fan grill.. Also note the damage to the outer sheath of the cable. I don't think its too detrimental as it hasn't gone through to the inner core.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3285/insidepw.jpg

Please fill out the RMA.

The cut cables sleeve are not intended.

So do you mean the plug with the cut cable and the sleeve are not intended or just the sleeve where you can see the red inner core?

I will have to send this back to the place I bought it from so would it be possible for you to send me an email I can print out for the store to aid in the return process? It's still in warranty. I am in Australia so a return to the USA will cost as much as the unit.

Thanks.

So do you mean the plug with the cut cable and the sleeve are not intended or just the sleeve where you can see the red inner core?

I will have to send this back to the place I bought it from so would it be possible for you to send me an email I can print out for the store to aid in the return process? It's still in warranty. I am in Australia so a return to the USA will cost as much as the unit.

Thanks.

BUMP, would really appreciate clarification for the above. Thanks :).

Archived