Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2 (2X2GB) PC2-8500 v1.1 & v2.2 Compatibility

Eudorcas

I'll be upgrading my RAM that is:

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/ymann/DSC03274-1.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/ymann/DSC03272.jpg

So I'll be buying another set but with different version? v2.2?

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/benta5686/PC020493.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/benta5686/PC020491.jpg

Is there going to be any issues or probs with that? This are really hard to find and this is the only way I could upgrade my RAM as for availability.

Thats up to you. Chances are you will run into issues or not be able to run all modules at rated speeds.

Yes, if you decide to do it, memtest is a good idea. However memtest can very well find that all modules are fine , but the two kits still may not run together.

Thats up to you. Chances are you will run into issues or not be able to run all modules at rated speeds.

Yes, if you decide to do it, memtest is a good idea. However memtest can very well find that all modules are fine , but the two kits still may not run together.

Can you name at least one of those issues that I may encounter? My MOBO (GA-EP45-DQ6) fully supports that model and is on its list of compatible memory; Is there also a chance that it may work/run together perfectly fine w/o issues? If the issues are not something that can cause major system failure (BSOD) I'd might as well try it. Also how am I be able to know if the modules are not running at rated speeds, If memtest itself can't determine if all the modules are fine.

Sorry for this as I'm a newbie with RAM revision compatibilities, I don't even know what are the changes made by corsair with newer versions of RAM or why are they releasing new versions of RAM that is not backwards compatible with older versions.

Can you name at least one of those issues that I may encounter?

There is no way to say for sure. But the odds are not on your side when you mix kits. The memory , even if it is on a QVL does not account for adding more than one kit. Memory is sold in tested kits and is intended to be one kit per MB.

If the issues are not something that can cause major system failure (BSOD) I'd might as well try it.

They could realistically be anything from not being able to run them at rated speeds. Say you ahave 1333mhz RAM, you may be limited to 1066mhz. That is best case. Worst, you get instability and or BSOD's.

Also how am I be able to know if the modules are not running at rated speeds,If memtest itself can't determine if all the modules are fine.

Your RAM is for example, unstable at the rated speed of 1333mhz, but if you back the frequency down to 1066 and they become stable again.

As far as Memtest goes, I haven't seen a case where memtest was wrong yet. What i was getting at in my previous post was, that if you do end up with issues and have to test with memtest, chances are all modules will test fine, but still clash when the two kits are used at the same time. And work just fine each, set used separately.

I don't even know what are the changes made by corsair with newer versions of RAM or why are they releasing new versions of RAM that is not backwards compatible with older versions.

This is where the trouble comes into play when you mix different sets. Corsair uses up to 9 differnt IC 's and various differnt PCB's to make their modules. Those parts can be swapped at any time or be included in different revisions. Even though RAM may have the same characteristics(spd voltage req, ect) they can be hugely different under the hood. One little tick between the way two sets can throw them all off.

It's always best to use one tested kit. This way all your modules are tested and guaranteed to work as they should. Never add, but replace. It used to be where you could get away with using different sets but as technology evolves it has become pretty important to have matched sticks.

This is where the trouble comes into play when you mix different sets. Corsair uses up to 9 differnt IC 's and various differnt PCB's to make their modules. Those parts can be swapped at any time or be included in different revisions. Even though RAM may have the same characteristics(spd voltage req, ect) they can be hugely different under the hood. One little tick between the way two sets can throw them all off.

So it's a guaranteed 99.99% that it'll cause trouble and issues with a 00.01% probability that it'll work fine.

What if I were to under clock it from 1066Mhz to 800Mhz might cause a difference.

It's always best to use one tested kit. This way all your modules are tested and guaranteed to work as they should. Never add, but replace. It used to be where you could get away with using different sets but as technology evolves it has become pretty important to have matched sticks.

Yes it is true but that is just very much uneconomical. As if I'll be throwing my dominator and get a valueram just to get 8gigs of RAM. DDR2 Dominator series has been long phased out. I guess I'll pass upgrading my RAM and just stay on 4GB of RAM instead of having trouble going up to DDR3 that will pretty much cost me a whole new system. Since I still have no plans until Ivy Bridge-E. Now I'm confused if I'm going to try it or not. :sigh!:

So it's a guaranteed 99.99% that it'll cause trouble and issues with a 00.01% probability that it'll work fine.

I wouldn't go that far. But it's considerably less than 50%. Some do get away with it, but you can read through the forums and find that the vast majority of issues here all involve mixing two or more kits of memory.

What if I were to under clock it from 1066Mhz to 800Mhz might cause a difference.

That would one of the steps to take if they won't run at1066. You could try underclocking them to get them to sync up. But still no guarantees....

DDR2 Dominator series has been long phased out. I guess I'll pass upgrading my RAM and just stay on 4GB of RAM instead of having trouble going up to DDR3 that will pretty much cost me a whole new system. Since I still have no plans until Ivy Bridge-E. Now I'm confused if I'm going to try it or not.

Unless you really need the extra RAM, i would wait. Ivybridge is here and you plan on a new build in the near future, i would just wait.

If your rig now is primarily a gamer, there is no benefit to having more than 6 gig's anyway.

Yes it is true but that is just very much uneconomical. As if I'll be throwing my dominator and get a valueram just to get 8gigs of RAM.

I understand what your saying. However memory should be purchased as kit in the capacity you want to end up with. It's a very common misconception that adding memory at a later date is okay. It may cost you more at the beggining, to ditch a kit and replace with all new, but what is it going to end up costing you down the road in potential returns/RMA/postage/time on something that has less than a 50%chance of working.

In the end it's your rig if you want to add two more sticks , by all means do so. I'm just letting you know of the potential issues you may encounter with them. Not always the out come but a good possibility that you will encounter at least one.

Unless you really need the extra RAM, i would wait. Ivybridge is here and you plan on a new build in the near future, i would just wait.

Yeah, Ivy Bridge is here but Ivy Bridge-E (HEDT) family is a year away like it was with Sandy Bridge-E.

If your rig now is primarily a gamer, there is no benefit to having more than 6 gig's anyway.

I will actually get a lot of benefits with 8gigs of RAM since my rig is not primarily used for gaming (reason why I'm still in GTX 280); I decided moving up to 64-bit and getting additional RAM because of Adobe After Effects CS5 (Requires 64-bit) and I'm currently still in CS4. AE uses lots of RAM like in RAM previews.

In the end it's your rig if you want to add two more sticks , by all means do so. I'm just letting you know of the potential issues you may encounter with them. Not always the out come but a good possibility that you will encounter at least one.

Who knows I might get away with it w/o at least one issues... :D:

Corsair should put warning in their kits about revisions; if only I know of it in the past I should've fill in all those slots. I've been misguided by my HP Pavilion vintage desktop about this revisions that is running with 2 completely different SDRAM, A samsung with 16 IC's rev4.2 512MB and a king with 12 IC's rev2.1 512MB that running perfectly fine 24/7 for years.

I'll return here for the results but expect the unexpected... ;):

Corsair should put warning in their kits about revisions; if only I know of it in the past I should've fill in all those slots. I've been misguided by my HP Pavilion vintage desktop about this revisions that is running with 2 completely different SDRAM, A samsung with 16 IC's rev4.2 512MB and a king with 12 IC's rev2.1 512MB that running perfectly fine 24/7 for years.

Personnally it think it is the MB makers that need to print the warnings. They tell what RAM is suitable for your MB but dont tell you the complications that could arise by using two or more kits. People often believe that if those part numbers are in the QVL then it should not matter which ones you use or in what combination.

The other thing that is often mis understood is the filling of all the slots on the MB. When you do populate all the slots you put more strain on the memory controller. That extra strain often causes issues as well. Again, more so today because the memory controllers have been moved to the CPU instead of the old north bridge on the MB itself.

The RAM manufacturers should also put some sort of visible warning too, because you run the same risk across all RAM manufacturers. I have to admit, i was one who was bit by using two un matched kits. It's what brought me here a little over a year ago;):

Now your aging HP, that is a different story. Older machines you could put completely different kits in and they would still run. They would default to the slowest speed, but it would work. That is when it became a common thing to mix memory. Even though it was not a suggested practice.

I'll return here for the results but expect the unexpected...

Like i said it does work for some...Good luck! :)

Like i said it does work for some...Good luck! :)

It seems I'm one of those fortunate people... :D:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/r-bin/UploadersPixLinks/DSC05004.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/r-bin/UploadersPixLinks/DSC05005.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/r-bin/UploadersPixLinks/DSC05010.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/r-bin/UploadersPixLinks/DSC05011.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/r-bin/UploadersPixLinks/DSC05014.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/r-bin/UploadersPixLinks/DSC05016.jpg

Running @ (533Mhz) 1066Mhz, 5-5-5-15 and 2.100v, 3.20b. Dual Channel Interleaved.

I only have 1 issue on my first installation like hard to boot up with continues beeping and POST failure. So I remove the added kit, tweaked ALL MY DRAM BIOS settings to Manual from Auto, placed the additional kits and it boot up like a charm. :biggrin:

It is a must that you set all DRAM settings to manual, specially the timings and MCH Latch etc... Voltage to 2.100v before installing the new kit. I left it running in memtest for 8hrs with no errors, No BSOD or whatsoever. Absolutely NO ISSUES AT ALL! :roll:

Thank you Sir peanutz94 for the help :praise:

Hope this help for people who'll be adding new kits on their rig.

Archived