Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 Question

Dervon

So I got the above system about two weeks ago, with just a single 8gb 1600@C8 vengeance kit, loaded the XMP and it worked fine.

I purchased and installed a second identical kit, and now I get this annoying problem:

This is when running on the XMP profile, no other tweaks.

Note: GB bios asks "Do you wish to enhance CPU performance" when enabling XMP, in which I selected "no"

Once every 2-3 times I power on the system, I get a message: "The system failed to boot due to overclocking or overvoltages, settings in bios may not reflect current h/w state" on POST 1st stage.

I also suspect that it happened once when waking from a sleep state, but I disabled sleep hence so I cannot confirm.

Note that : 1)The system hasnt really failed to boot before that, 2) once I enter bios and merely save settings, it will boot successfully and 3) once it does, it will be rock solid, and perform flawlessly.

Thoughts?

I only learned about the horrors of "mixing kits" and "placing greater electrical loads on the memory controller when all slots are populated" now that I purchased the second kit...

1st kit is version 2.xx while the second one is 8.xx if this is of any help.

Do you think there's a problem with just restarting whenever I get this error? It looks otherwise rock-solid, no instabilites or noticable reductions in performance while working.

I only learned about the horrors of "mixing kits" and "placing greater electrical loads on the memory controller when all slots are populated" now that I purchased the second kit...

1st kit is version 2.xx while the second one is 8.xx if this is of any help.

Do you think there's a problem with just restarting whenever I get this error? It looks otherwise rock-solid, no instabilites or noticable reductions in performance while working.

Yeah, mixing kits like that often causes more problems than what it's worth.Some get away with it and the majority do not.

As far as it causing any problems, sure, i would think you could end up with possible data corruption when booting is interupted or you have memory instability.. Personally i would either use one kit or the other . Or return the one kit and buy a matched 16 gig kit.

Archived