Corsair Community

RMA# 2428324 - Ship to Netherlands?!

MikeLarwood

Good evening,

Got a stick of RAM that's gone dead after a few months of use - hey, it happens, no beef there. Only issue is I've created an RMA request and I've now got to ship this faulty item from the United Kingdom (where I am) to the Netherlands, at my expense? That's £18+VAT to return a piece of kit that cost me £16+VAT?

I'd appreciate some assistance in getting this resolved, as I don't believe that under EU law you can make a consumer pay for returns within a reasonable warranty period. I appreciate that this is an unrealistic expectation for the lifetime warranty offered, but I think I'm just over 6 months here.

Basically got a BSOD one morning. Put the RAM in another machine, that machine BSODs. Put the RAM out of the machine that was working in the initial machine, it works fine. Definitely RAM, confirmed, but with a house full of Corsair SSDs and RAM, if I've got to pay to fix this (basically buy more memory, as it's cheaper!) I'll just buy someone else's.

Regards,

Mike

hello, ya cant just swap ram without resetting the bios first and make sure the model is compatible with the board.

Corsair is not an EU company so whatever law you are referring to likely does not apply.

how did you test the ram? try memtest86 one stick at a time after a bios reset.

RAM is the memory advised as compatible by the Corsair pages, the BIOS has been reset on the boxes and THE SAME kit causes the same error in another identical PC running an identical Corsair memory kit (I've got 5 of these HP dc7900 SFF boxes, all with the same Corsair kit in).

The simple fact of the matter is that I cannot send anything from the UK to Netherlands for anything approaching a reasonable cost. This memory has an additional warranty over and above that which should be deemed an absolute minimum by European law, and as Corsair clearly has 'a presence' in the EU it will be bound by those laws at a minimum.

I simply cannot escape the fact that Corsair are selling products with a meaningless warranty, as I can replace the parts for the cost of me taking them up on their warranty?

Absolutely unacceptable, and whilst I sit here looking at the Force GT SSD and memory upgrade for my new laptop I can't help but think there are probably better supported offerings at the moment. Shame, but this isn't the first time I've had to write off a Corsair memory kit because it'd cost the same (or more) to fix it over replacing it. Difference is, now I can't afford to be writing off the odd £20-30 here and there.

Regards,

Mike

I find the price you are quoting to send a memory stick to the Netherlands a bit unreasonable. My RMA was created while the web system was 'broken' and I was told to send my ram sticks to California. But that cost less than £10 for a tracked service. (Post Office)

UK law states that the seller is responsible for products that don't work properly, not the manufacturer. Some resellers (like Aria) try to get round this by saying the manufacturer handles things directly. They cannot insist on this. You can insist they deal with it.

In my case Aria said they would refund the postage (though I haven't had it yet).

Archived