Corsair Community

Corsair CMFSSD-32D1 Huge Performance decrease over time

H4wk

Hi folks,

Just while ago I did a speed benchmark of my old ssd drive which I still use as a system disc (CMFSSD-32D1) compared to new one (Corsair Force 3 180GB) and noticed huge difference...

As far I recall - two years ago I had speed approx around 200 MB/s

Now it's below 100MB/s for read but 20MB/s for writes !!!

I do not think this is normal and want an advice what to do with this..

Disk is utilized for 45% and only system and few programs are there, new drive contains only few games.

Benchmark results are attached.

*Note: week ago partition was deleted, drive fast-reformatted and system installed.

1044359976_NewSSDForce3180GB.png.5139e5783b686ebd193fbeab6ddd3b00.png

356069341_OLDdrivesystem.png.f328f6b74a08bd1a03f2810299acd717.png

I have firmware 1.0 as per attached screen, TRIM enabled and active

If you guys think it's worth the risk of updating the firmware (it is my system disk so I guess it will make me angry if update will fail...) I'll do so.. that might help you think ?

607193789_Image8_12.2011-18_01_16.png.29c478bc52068240a1e007915ff75321.png

More likely no, as Secure erasering should bring your driver speed back, as it was when it was new. If that SSD was on that current system before.

Did you do "Secure eraser" before installing your current system?

Edit: formating only slows your ssd. so not recormended, to clean your disc that way.

I did not secure erasing

What are my options now ?

1 Backup all my current data with system on the drive (around 15GB) -- How to do that ???

2 Update firmware

3 Do secure erase

4 Restore all the data backed up in the step 1 -- Again how to do that

Would this be helpful ?

Is there any free soft that can backup whole disk image and restore it ? Without loosing the disc performance again.. ?

I would do "clean install". I do it my self if i ever need to clean a disc or change it.

Thatway i know a fact that my install is clean, without old errors or so.

(if you play games or have big software, install them on anoter disc, that way you have very little mount different programs to install your os disc when ever you need to)

But yes, other then that your order is right.

Edit: You forget to insert your system specs... Please put them in your Profile.

What OS and MB you use?

Please help me guys...

So what I have already done:

-Updated firmware, tested speeds were even lower, up to 50MB/s read and 10MB/s write

-Backed up system drive image

-Restored system drive image to empty HDD that I have

-Booted up from that HDD

I have now full access and can do whatever I want with the affected SSD

Wanted to do Secure Erase but I cannot boot that ISO, it simply puts some error and ends up tried pmagic_2011_11_24_i686.iso

Is there any way how to perform secure erase from windows ? Any program for that ?

Please help.

I did run it through parted magic, it 'completed' within a miliseconds, but all partitions were still there.

So tried it within command line following howto on parted magic forum and it finished with security error

so did -I for that command and found that enhanced secure erase was marked as NOT supported

tried HDDErase as well, drive was not detected as locked I was able to choose it, everything was set for Compatible IDE but it always ended up with error

Required to set a password to perform a secure erase.

Setting hdd security with password: idrive

Unable to set hdderase user password

Secure erase can not be performed

So it seems it is not supported..

Speeds as by now are 5MB/s for write and 50MB/s read.

Screenshot from DiskInfo is attached, showing "Good 61%" it was 90% yesterday.. before the tips posted here.

diskinfo.png.54ff1a84b11ec60ad455ed96abf1bd17.png

I did run it through parted magic, it 'completed' within a miliseconds, but all partitions were still there.

So tried it within command line following howto on parted magic forum and it finished with security error

so did -I for that command and found that enhanced secure erase was marked as NOT supported

tried HDDErase as well, drive was not detected as locked I was able to choose it, everything was set for Compatible IDE but it always ended up with error

Required to set a password to perform a secure erase.

Setting hdd security with password: idrive

Unable to set hdderase user password

Secure erase can not be performed

So it seems it is not supported..

Speeds as by now are 5MB/s for write and 50MB/s read.

Screenshot from DiskInfo is attached, showing "Good 61%" it was 90% yesterday.. before the tips posted here.

Sry to hear that you are one of the unlucky ones that have problem with stuff leaving on disc.

As far as i know Secure eraser on SSD, dont normaly take long even on big SSD, as it dont do anything on memory parts where the files are (more you write to them, more it wears of and lose its power, thats why no formating is the way).

It send message to controller that those files are deleted and that way controller ignores them...

* That Parted Magic is working via "Linux", so no it dont work on Windows as it has its own OS to do stuff.

* What was the error message that you replay with-I command?

* Did you find command for "Normal" Secure eraser on that forum? Difference with "Enhanced" & "Normal" -Secure eraser isnt clear to me, but i ges its just good for this. If that is a case, that it wount support Enhanced-version.

If you havent find solution, do this for time beaing.

1. Shutdown your PC.

2. Take all data wires(SATA/IDE) form all drivers exepth CD/DVD.

3. Start PC and go to BIOS.

4. Set your PC to Boot on CD/DVD or USB stick (depending on which one you have your boot up Parted Magic).

5. Safe your settings and reboot. (insert that cd if its the one).

6. Hold on as it boots and when you see the blue screen that you normaly select 1st one "default". Press arrow Down instead so it wount continue automatically anywhere.

7. Insert that SATA cable to SSD that you try to Secure eraser and go back up to default settings and continue secure erasering like on Corsair guide...

8. Go to BIOS and change boot setting to CD/DVD if you used USB stick for Secure erasering.

9. Set SATA mode to AHCI, if it already isnt. Safe your settings and reboot.

10. Insert that Windows install DVD and do clean install without formating (You post that you have W7, so dont press that Format button!! Just select that SSD and press continue).

11. After install try again ATTO and post it here.

Sry my English and Good luck ::pirate::

Edit: And yeah there isnt lifetime software that you can rely for SSDs.

• 2 weeks later...

Disk was already received by corsair and they have sent a package to me, but I am curious, is a new disk being shipper or just repaired old one ?

From what I know CMFSSD-32D1 is not being sold anymore in any shop, so probably it is a 'old-new' one that was in stock in their warehouse or is it my old one just repaired... ? Or it is a completelly different disk but they marked on the RMA status:

RMA Replacement Parts Ship Date: 12/22/2011

Replacement Part Number: CMFSSD-32D1

Replacement Part Quantity: 1

Replacement Shipping Method: UPS Express Saver

Archived