8GB of 1866C9 vs 8GB of 1600C7 vs 16GB of 1600C9

IT_Diva

Hi Gang,

I'm about to order parts for a new build. The basics include:

Asus, Maximus IV Gene-Z

Intel i5 2500K.

Force GT 120GB for the system drive

Hydro H100 for CPU cooling

I really need advice on what would be the best memory option for maximum overal performance for gaming and everyday tasks. I don't do much video encoding, so I'm thinking that speed over quantity would be the wiser plan .

As I see it, the choices narrow down to these three:

CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9

If y'all can give me some pros and cons to help me decide, I'd sure be greatful.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Darlene

The I-5's dont have the greatest memory controllers, so 1866mhz may be a struggle for that processor. But you wont know that untill you try.

If you are going for a gamer rig the 8gig CL7 kit will be enough. If you are rendering /video encoding/working with large files, then go for the 16 gig kit.

Really any of them should be fine so it's really your choice.

The I-5's dont have the greatest memory controllers, so 1866mhz may be a struggle for that processor. But you wont know that untill you try.

If you are going for a gamer rig the 8gig CL7 kit will be enough. If you are rendering /video encoding/working with large files, then go for the 16 gig kit.

Really any of them should be fine so it's really your choice.

Thanks for the feedback.

I take it then, that the i7's memory controller is a bit more robust than the i5's, or do you not consider it to be the greatest either?

I have an 8G kit, CMT8GX3M2A1866C9, running happily (XMP & 1.5V) on my i7 2600K Maximus IV Extreme-Z rig. This new build will be my first i5 rig.

I'd hate to try for 1866 and have it not work, and then be stuck with what ends up being expensive 1600C9.

Think I'll go with the 1600C7and be as sure as it's reasonable to be, that it'll work as advertised.

Darlene

I take it then, that the i7's memory controller is a bit more robust than the i5's, or do you not consider it to be the greatest either?

Yeah, the I-7's do seem to be more robust or maybe efficient is the word. But we have seen alot of the I-5's come through that would struggle with 1600mhz let alone 1866 or 2000mhz. Now the second generation seem to be alittle more tolerant and wont have any trouble at 1600mhz.

Think I'll go with the 1600C7and be as sure as it's reasonable to be, that it'll work as advertised.

I think this is a safe/smart move. The difference between 1866mhz isn't going to be noticeable with out a benchmark anyway. You wouldn't see any real world performance boost.

Thanks for the input.

I just can't stretch the budget enough in time for December 25th to go the i7 path, without sacrificing something significant.

I'll be living on grilled cheese sandwiches 'till Valentines day as it is. :eek:

Darlene

Thanks again guys,

I ordered all my new parts yesterday:

Asus, Maximus IV Gene-Z

Intel i5 2500K.

Hydro H100 for CPU cooling

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C7R

Force GT 120GB for the system drive

Force GT 60GB for the cache drive for the spinner

Already on hand:

WD 1.5TB sata 6G, for storage

PCP&C 750W PSU

multiple optical drives

Going into a customized "Lanbox Lite", for which I'll build a new window for the left side to mount the water cooling kit on.

Should be pretty unique..... :cool:

Ain't holliday excitement grand!

Darlene

Archived