Corsair Community

H60 Fan Speeds

bobacdigital

For some reason my H60 fan speed is reading at 1900 RPM in the bios / windows... I have a Push / Pull setup with 2 stock H60 corsair fans.... the rear fan (cpu header 4 pin) bringing air from outside is running at 1900 rpm and the the front fan (sys header 3 pin) is pulling air through the radiator at 1700 rpm.. Is there a reason that my stock fan that came with my unit is running at 1900rpms?

Reason im asking is I just want to be sure my push / pull setup is operating at its best..

It sounds like your boards fan control software is not running or is not configured correctly. Configuring is done in the BIOS, in Windows with the boards software, or both.

If you have installed, run, and configured the fan control software in the BIOS or Windows, and the fans still run at full speed, then you likely have an installation issue with the pump, and your CPU temp is high, so the fans are running at full speed due to that.

Beyond all this, the standard System or Chassis fan headers on a board rarely offer the level of fan speed control that a four pin PWM CPU fan header does. They are usually not linked to the CPU temperature, and adjusting them to function in the same way as the CPU fan header is difficult if not impossible.

I will have to tinker with the bios and see what the issue is or if there is an option not selected... I am pretty sure I hooked it up correctly as the pump on on a sys fan header 3 pin and one fan is on the 4 pin cpu header...The second fan is on another sys fan header running at correct speeds.. My temps are about 28 to 30 across all cores during idle and in the low 40s during load..

I am going to try plugging the faster fan into another sys fan 3 pin and see if the fan is just running faster in the cpu header.... I haven't used the mobo fan software at all, does that need to continue to run in the background for the fans to keep their settings? Or can you adjust the speeds and close the program?

If your BIOS does not let you configure the fan speed control, you must use the boards fan control software, or you won't have any control over the fans. It sounds like you have the fans and pump connected to your board correctly, so that is not your problem.

Yes, the fan control software usually runs in the background, and that is not a big deal or resource usage issue whatsoever. Even when configured and controlled in the BIOS, something is running somewhere, but again that is not an issue. Yes, you can configure the fans with the software and close the program, and it still functions, at least with the boards and software I have used.

You really need to use some kind of fan control software, switching to another fan header won't make a difference. The H60 uses a PWM controlled fan, and you must activate that control before it will function. Your CPU temps are fine, so your mounting is correct.

the fan is just faster I guess.. tried the software and bios settings.. 1920 rpm vs 1750 ... but the fans are the same stock h60 fans... Also I tried plugging in the "slower fan" to the cpu header and it ran about 100rpms faster... not sure whats going on hmm.

Thank I will be ok with one fan feeding the other a little faster faster?

I am not positive but have you tried switching the fans around to see what happens?

I imagine you would get the same results. The fan that is pulling is doing "less work" since it is being pushed by the other fan. Maybe that causes the fan that is pulling to run slighlty faster. If you swap fans and get the same results then that is your answer.

I would recommend that you get a y spilitter that reads the speed from only one fan but controls the speed of both. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812718001

That way you can plug that into the PWM header on your mobo and use the bios to control when the fans speed up. That way the H60 fans will be silent under light loads and only speed up as temps increase while under load. Of course that is dependant on your mobo having a pwm cpu header and having control over it in the bios. Most do. Of course be sure to plug the pump into a seperate 3 pin header and set that to manual and 100%.

Of course your mobo could just be reading the speeds slighlty off and what I said is completely false. lol I am not an engineer by any means.

Your fan speed control is not working at all it seems. My H60 with the stock Corsair PWM fan runs at a bit under 850 RPM at idle, and ~1900 RPM wide open, on the PWM fan header, using my boards fan speed control software. Idle temps on a stock clocked i7-930 are under 30C.

A small difference in the push or pull fans speed is not important. IMO, what is important is all the extra noise you have with your fans running at full speed all the time. I would hate that.

So I was tinkering in the bios and I turned on the smart fan control... The only ways to manipulate the speed of the fan is to set the min rpms of the fan by percentage when the cpu is under a specific load temp... when I set the fan that is plugged into the cpu header to operate at min rpm of 62% of its speed then it brings the rpms down to 1750 (which matches the fan thats pulling) when its below a certain temp.. when fan control is off it operates at 1920... I just ordered the y cable you suggested to try that out because even at 1750/1750 the sound is still a bit loud.

I will try switching the fans around to see if they both operate at 1920 when plugged into the cpu fan header without fan control.. If they do im sure the Y cable will work just fine with fan control on... Ill have to set the the fans to run at a lower speed until it reaches what 45 to to 50 C ...in which they both spin up to their max speeds?

I use a PWM fan splitter cable with two PWM fans on my H60's, it works fine. At idle, my fans run at ~40%, so if you can reduce that percentage setting below 62%, I suggest that you try that, your temps should be fine. The difference in fan speeds you are seeing is simply because the SYS fan headers are controlled differently than the CPU/PWM fan header, their settings are separate on most if not all boards.

Set the speed to 50% below 35-40c. Then set it to 100% above 50-55c. Of course that depends on what processor you are using and what temps your happy with. You could set it to run at 100% all the time if you don't care about the noise.

Ya I think ill be doing that.. but the bios only allows you to set MIN fan speed in correlation with CPU temp.. So after it hits lets say 40 it will automatically spool up to 100%

I use a PWM fan splitter cable with two PWM fans on my H60's, it works fine. At idle, my fans run at ~40%, so if you can reduce that percentage setting below 62%, I suggest that you try that, your temps should be fine. The difference in fan speeds you are seeing is simply because the SYS fan headers are controlled differently than the CPU/PWM fan header, their settings are separate on most if not all boards.

Does the splitter cable (already ordered) make the fans spin at the exact same speed regardless of type? The fans I have are identical stock H60 fans.. Only issue im having is I believe one just spins faster than the other even if I alternate them on the cpu fan header.. I will have to try it again tonight to confirm.. but I think one spins at 1850 on the cpu header and the other at 1920 on the cpu header when I try them 1 by 1.. Just want them to spin at same speed to maximize cooling!

Does the splitter cable (already ordered) make the fans spin at the exact same speed regardless of type? The fans I have are identical stock H60 fans.. Only issue im having is I believe one just spins faster than the other even if I alternate them on the cpu fan header.. I will have to try it again tonight to confirm.. but I think one spins at 1850 on the cpu header and the other at 1920 on the cpu header when I try them 1 by 1.. Just want them to spin at same speed to maximize cooling!

You are way overthinking this. Get the splitter, connect both fans push/pull, set the bios so the fans spin @1000-1200 rpms while at idle, then make sure they spin at @1800-1900rpms while under full load. Run a program like P95 and monitor your temps. Thats it.

No two fans are ever going to spin at exactly the same speed. There are way too many variables. Yours are within normal tolerances and completely normal.

You are way overthinking this. Get the splitter, connect both fans push/pull, set the bios so the fans spin @1000-1200 rpms while at idle, then make sure they spin at @1800-1900rpms while under full load. Run a program like P95 and monitor your temps. Thats it.

No two fans are ever going to spin at exactly the same speed. There are way too many variables. Yours are within normal tolerances and completely normal.

I will try that and see how it goes.. I hear that it isnt advised to use a splitter on cpu fan header to power 2 fans.. How much power does each fan draw? I mean always read everyone saying they are doing it this way .. just wondering if both fans are under the suggested power max for the cpu header?

Archived