Corsair Community

Major problems with H100 -- disappointed, corsair.

xoleras

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in with some potential design issues with the H100. First off, i'm somewhat of a corsair fan and have used many of your products over the years, and have purchased probably 1500$ worth of cases, SSDs and power supplies over the past 6 months. I recommend your products to all of my customers, because they're reliable.

There are some big design issues with the H100, I am so frustrated right now and am not sure what to do. I am installing the H100 on the ASUS P8Z68 pro gen3 motherboard, as i'm sure eveyrone is aware, ASUS is a major motherboard manufacturer and a very popular brand. Here is a picture: http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/websites/Global/products/KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua/rQlVmk0a622p1No5_500.jpg

This brings me to the first problem. Do you see where the VRM is located on this motherboard? This is very common for MANY Z68 motherboards in terms of VRM placement. The problem here is the mounting bracket includes the mounting D bracket, 4 double sided screws, and 4 thumb screws to secure the unit. The problem here is that there is absolutely NO way to secure this because first, everything is tightened by hand -- there are no screwdriver notches in the upper mounting screws. The manual in the box pictures thumb screws with screwdriver notches, but mine did not have notches. Furthermore, it is impossible to do this by thumb because the 2 left mounting holes on the motherboard are beside the VRM. If there was an option to mount this with a screwdriver, this would be no problem. However, the combination of the fact of everything being tool-less and not having screwdriver notches, after my install the mounting was "wobbly" with absolutely NO WAY for me to secure it. My thumbs are too large to fit this by hand, and I doubt even a woman could do this because the spacing between the mounting holes and VRM is small.

I was finally able to mount it using a crude combination of rubber feet and super glue. But I am not happy. First off, I scratched my motherboard with my pliers while struggling with the mounting bracket -- my fault, yes, but your product is poorly designed. I also nearly stripped a few of the washers in my struggle to get the unit securely fit. Secondly, why does the manual picture mounting thumb screws with notches yet my screws didn't include notches?

I would very much like to get a new mounting bracket + screws, but i'm not sure what I have to do in order to do this. I am half tempted to return this unit to the retailer, I am very disappointed. Will corsair customer service help in this situation? Or will it just be a "tough luck deal with it" issue? Sorry for the long rant, I just feel like my customer trust has been somewhat betrayed.

Surely somebody in their design department thought that it may be hard to hand screw these things? With this design its virtually impossible on most asus motherboards, as well as other brands. Most Z68 motherboards place the VRM very close to the CPU socket. Argh...so frustrating.

You can file an RMA (link on the left) and request screws with notches, but I'm not sure whether they can send you some.

I dont think this is possible. As far as i am aware they changed all their stock over to the slotless type.

They changed to the slotless type because people were over tightening the screws like madnsman stated. They dont have to be any more than finger tight as long as the head is fit flat on the CPU. It's a misconception that you have to really get them tight, but that really only applies to very large heatsinks. Water blocks and coolers that are much less more weight dont need that kind of torque. Take a stock intel cooler for example. There is no way they come close to being that tight.

As far as your issues go the coolers are designed to fit a wide variety of MB's . And they have no way to make them fit EVERY MB just perfect. Or where MB manufacturers place the components on theose MB's. Thats why they are "UNIVERSAL"

I am half tempted to return this unit to the retailer, I am very disappointed. Will corsair customer service help in this situation? Or will it just be a "tough luck deal with it" issue? Sorry for the long rant, I just feel like my customer trust has been somewhat betrayed.

You'll have to call and discuss that with them. There is no access to CS from tech support forums. You can find the number on the bottom of the main website page .

I can understand their reasoning to making notchless screws. However, nearly every Z68 and x79 motherboard i've seen has the VRM very close to the motherboard mounting holes. As well, asus is a *very* popular DIY brand among enthusiasts, probably the most popular. So I don't think is an isolated case.

There should be a happy medium, maybe include both sets of screws? I dunno :(

I'll give corsair a call and see what they say

Surely somebody in their design department thought that it may be hard to hand screw these things? With this design its virtually impossible on most asus motherboards, as well as other brands. Most Z68 motherboards place the VRM very close to the CPU socket. Argh...so frustrating.

I have the Asus z68 Deluxe Gen 3 and had no problems getting everything tight, I didn't have the ram or video card installed until I got the H100 installed, your right not much room but you can do it!http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz143/fvbounty/Computer%20pictures/NewComputer2011090.jpg

You must have small hands , there was no way for me to do it. The upper left screw is the worst, it is nearly blocked by both VRMs and was a GIGANTIC pain. It is apparent in the picture how small the spacing is between the motherboard mounting holes and VRM, i'm in disbelief no one at corsair paused to think of this.

Anyway, what case is that?

edit: 650D, ah. It looked really similar to a rosewill case that i've seen.

You must have small hands , there was no way for me to do it. The upper left screw is the worst, it is nearly blocked by both VRMs and was a GIGANTIC pain. It is apparent in the picture how small the spacing is between the motherboard mounting holes and VRM, i'm in disbelief no one at corsair paused to think of this.

Anyway, what case is that?

edit: 650D, ah. It looked really similar to a rosewill case that i've seen.

Your right the slot on the thumb screw would make it easier, but I can see Corsair's point of someone just cranking down with a screwdriver and breaking something?

ASUS P8Z68 LE here. Did it easily and I have large hands, slender fingers.

Never once wanted to crack out a screwdriver. One of the screws was more awkward to turn than the others, meaning I had to make smaller adjustments in tightening.

Archived