Corsair Community

DDR333/DDR400 for DDR266 motherboard....POSSIBLE???

idoc

My old Gigabyte 7DXR is rated for DDR200/266. I'm replacing my 2x256 Crucial PC2100 with 2x512 for total of 1 Gb for video editing. Was planning on getting Crucial 512 Mb PC2100 but I found out that the cost is almost the same as faster DDR being sold. Here is current pricing at NewEgg: Geil Value 3200 CL2.5 $83 Corsair Value Select 3200 CL2.5 $85 OCZ 2700 CL2.5 $88 3200 CL2.5 $90 Crucial 2100 CL2.5 $85 2700 CL2.5 $89 3200 CL3 $87 Kingston ValueRAM 2700 CL2.5 $86 3200 CL3 $88 Kingmax 2700 CL2.5 $80 3200 CL2.5 $81 3500 CL2.5 $86 3700 CL3 $86 4000 CL3 $105 Looking at these prices, it would seem foolish to be getting PC2100 if the faster DDR can also run in my board. I have heard of some people who had this old board and were using DDR333, even DDR433. I would like to ask if this is really possible, and if so how? I have absolutely no knowledge about manually adjusting the DRAM settings in the BIOS. Is this going to be necesary to make the faster DDR run on the 7DXR? Or is it a simple matter of installing them in the slots? [B]I'm particularly interested in the Corsair Value Select PC3200 CL2.5[/B]. I'm considering getting this faster DDR for use in a possible future motherboard upgrade, and maybe for better performance. It does not matter to me this DDR400 will still have to run at 266 MHz speed. ONLY AS LONG AS IT WILL RUN STABLE. WILL IT?Otherwise, I'll just have to settle for the CL3 Crucial PC3200 which is documented in the Crucial site as compatible with my DDR266 mobo. Help will be greatly appreciated. idoc P.S. I run my 2400+ at stock FSB of 133. Memory settings set to AUTO. __________________ Gigabyte 7DXR/F10 BIOS XP 2400+/SLK900A/Panaflo H1A 92mm 2x40Gb MAXTOR D740X (RAID 0) 2x256 Crucial PC2100 DDR Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro 128 PCI Firewire card LG 52X CD-ROM/Yamaha 16x10x40 CD-RW Enlight 7237/HEC 475W PSU On-board Audio/Altec Lansing ACS54 Windows XP Pro SP1

• Corsair Employee
It may work just fine, but you may have to use other memory and set the timings manually as some of the older MB's will not read the SPD of faster modules! However, we would not have tested this configuration!

[QUOTE]It may work just fine, but you may have to use other memory and set the timings manually as some of the older MB's will not read the SPD of faster modules! However, we would not have tested this configuration![/QUOTE] RAM GUY: Thanks for your response. As I had stated in my post, I am particularly interested in the [B]Corsair Value Select PC3200 CL2.5 1 Gb Kit (2X512 Mb)[/B] with part number VS512MBKIT400. What do you mean other memory? Do you mean I should get other brand of memory other than Corsair? BTW, I had found out in the Crucial site that their newer PC2700 and PC3200 modules are GUARANTEED to be compatible with my old Gigabyte GA-7DXR mobo which only officially supports PC1600 and PC2100 [url]http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?model=GA-7DXR&DetailMB=Y[/url] (Unfortunately, the desktop memory guide for Gigabyte on the Corsair site only lists the newer boards) But despite this, I would really prefer to get the Corsair because it is CL2.5 (vs CL3 for the Crucial), just like my current Crucial PC2100. And the Corsair modules have been said to perform better than the Crucial. That is why I am trying to get validation regarding my query on the compatibilty of this Corsair Value Select PC3200 CL2.5 with my motherboard. And I believe that since this is the official Corsair Memory forum I would be able to get a more specific and definitive response here. Regards, idoc PS I will be making the purchase in the US but I will be using the RAM in my rig in Manila, Philippines. So if I get the Corsair and they DO NOT work on my board, there will be no chance for RMA or refund, and I would have lost $173. That is the reason why I am quite anxious to find out if it will work on my board, before I commit to the purchase :confused:

[quote name='RAM GUY']It may work just fine, but you may have to use other memory and set the timings manually as some of the older MB's will not read the SPD of faster modules! However, we would not have tested this configuration![/QUOTE] In otherwords, the system may have problems reading the SPD of the memory. If it cannot do this, then you will need to slap in slower memory, set the timings manually, then put in the VS512MBKIT400. This isn't a Corsair issue, it's a speed issue. Also, I believe the warranty is worldwide, not 100% sure though.

Thanks Wired. Let me see if I got it correctly: If the Corsairs don't work upon installation with DRAM Timing setting at AUTO, I pull them out, put my old Crucial PC2100 in, and set the DRAM Timing to MANUAL, save the BIOS setting, shut down, and install the Corsairs? Then they should work? The DRAM parameters on my Gigabyte 7DXR BIOS are the following: DRAM Timing setting by (AUTO/MANUAL) DRAM PH Limit (1/4/8/16 Cycle) DRAM Idle Limit (0/8/12/16/24/32/48 Cycle/Disabled) DRAM TrcTiming Value (3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10 Cycle) DRAM Trp Timing Value (1/2/3/4 Cycle) DRAM Tras Timing Value (2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 Cycle) DRAM CAS Latency (2/2.5 Cycle) SDRAM Trcd Timing Value (1/2/3/4 Cycle) When DRAM Timing setting is set to AUTO, all other settings are grayed out of course. When I set it to Manual, will I have to adjust each parameter? Or will it be enough to just set it to Manual before installing the PC3200? The reason I'm asking is that I have absolutely no aptitude nor experience in tweaking memory settings since I've never overclocked my system. Hence my trepidation about not knowing what values to set. So pls bear with me idoc PS. Corsair has no presence here in the Philippines. So even if the warranty is worldwide, no chance of claiming. And I suppose even then, they would only entertain defective products, and not products that are functioning but would not run on a particular system.

• Corsair Employee
First thing, our warranty is indeed world wide! And should you have a problem, and you are not in the USA! Please talk to your reseller first, if they will not or cannot help you then as stated in "I Think I Have a Bad Part. What Do I Do?" you can submit the RMA request directly! For your question, you are trying to run DDR400 memory in a MB that is rated at DDR266 only! And in that case some MB's will not read the SPD of a DDR400 module! If that should happen you can still use them but you will need to set the memory timings manually! I would just use the other memory to post the system and set the memory timings to Manual and leave all of the settings set to default and then exit saving changes and boot to a floppy, then turn off the system and remove power and install the other modules and see if it will post!

Archived