Corsair Community

Chances of having a bad CPU?

swinchen

Does anyone know how often it is the motherboard or CPU that cause memory errors?

I just build a system with CML16GX3M4A1600C9B on a P8Z68-V w/ i5-2500k. The first motherboard would not POST with memory in either of the first two slots. After RMAing the motherboard and getting the replacement (Thanks Amazon!) everything seemed fine until I ran memtest86 4.2. After 7 hours I had a single bit error on test 7 of pass 2. It only managed to make it 3/4 of the way through pass 3. I have the motherboard on default/auto timings (1600, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V).

I am just wondering how on Earth I am going to determine what caused that bit error. I have an RMA for the RAM, but I would like to make sure that is what is causing my problems before wasting everyone's time.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

• Corsair Employees
More than likely it is not the memory, I would suggest checking for the latest MB BIOS and then load setup defaults and enable XMP and retest the system. But if that keeps happening I would look for some other cause like Thermal or voltage.

Interestingly I ran it last night (it is still running at home) and I made it through pass 6 without any errors. How many passes should be sufficient to ensure there are no problems? The first time I ran memtest I got a error on pass 2. Seeing I got that error I can't help but worry that there is a bad component but if it runs memtest for 12+ hours I am probably ok right? Maybe that error was caused by a spike/dip on the power line? cosmic radiation? I don't know.

• Corsair Employees
Getting a singe bit failure can be caused by many things not normally the memory module. Normally if you have a failing memory module you will get consistent errors on test 1-4. I would check with the MB maker for the latest MB BIOS and make sure that you load setup defaults and set the tested settings that are printed on the module. If that keep happening then try and increase the memory Voltage .1 Volts or the memory controller Voltage +.1 Volts.

Archived