Corsair Community

Do all p55 boards drop to sata2 with SLI?

Ozark_750

Hmm, I'd think only the p55 boards with the NF200 chip can provide both the full 32 pci-e lanes for SLI and the SATA III bandwidth at the same time.

All other boards have to find a compromise in some way or another between USB3, pci-e and SATA III bandwidth. I guess you found out how yours does it.

I know for sure that some p55 ASUS boards (the ones without the PLX chip) have an option in the BIOS to enable either full USB3 support OR full SATA III support. Also, when using SLI, the pci-e bandwidth drops to x8 x8.

So, yeah, I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it.

Sounds like they use the PCIe links from the P55 chipset for the second slot instead of dividing the 16 PCIe links from the processor into x8 and x8 for the physical x16 slots when they're both in use. Because of that, there's not enough bandwidth for the marvell controller.

Can anyone with a NF200 / PLX (same thing?) Asus board confirm this? I would gladly ditch usb3 for sata3 since I don't have any usb 3.0 devices but there's no option in my bios to do so. Also - do any mb on the p55 platform do x16 x16 on SLI? I thought I had seen that most chipsets (even more modern ones) drop to x8 on both in SLI.

NF200 and PLX aren't the same thing.

Here's what the NF200 does http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/30344-gigabyte-ga-p55a-ud7-lga-1156-motherboard-review-3.html

Here's what the PLX does http://www.thinkcomputers.org/asus-p7p55d-e-pro-intel-p55-lga-1156-motherboard-review/6/ (it seems only the -E models starting with Pro have this solution)

So with the NF200 chip, it's possible to run x16 + x16 for true SLI/xfire; although with added latency. I don't know if anyone beside Gigabyte supply this functionality, but I do know also their 1155 sandy bridge top of the line (UD7 models) have this implementation as well.

Archived