Corsair Community

Force 3 SSD in Dell Vostro 1510

asc99c

I've just bought a Force 3 120GB to upgrade an old Dell Vostro 1510 running Windows XP. I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with the drive with this laptop?

I frst connected it up through a USB SATA dock, and it crashed windows explorer. A few retries always brought the same result - the computer just hangs until I unplug the USB cable.

I've currently got it connected via the same dock into my server, running Vista, and it seems to recognise it, I created a partition and it is currently formatting it. However, I'm a bit worried that it wasn't working well with the XP laptop.

In my opinion, SSDs and older systems and laptops in particular don't mesh well. Same is true of older operating systems. In general, you'll find the advise is to get the newest BIOS installed. You need AHCI on your motherboard. With the limited options with laptop BIOS software you aren't able to control things like quick-boot.

If you want the advantages of an SSD, get a new laptop with a current OS and an SSD already installed. You are guaranteed that it will work.

That being said it has been hinted at that problems listed in this group are due to the Sandforce controller in some of Corsair's SSDs.

Finally! Got it working now.

For some reason it does seem to be a combination of using the SATA dock, from Windows XP on my laptop. The SSD in the dock was recognized OK on my Vista server, and also when running Parted Magic Linux on my laptop.

I've now copied the old partition, swapped over the discs, and running on the new Force3. Cold boot time has gone from 48s down to 23 (of which 12 is the BIOS - so the Windows bit has gone from 36 to 11).

Regarding opinions to replace the whole laptop, I did initially look at that option. However, it is a work laptop so there was an absolute limit of £1000, and only 2 shops I can buy from. I really like high res displays, and I was having trouble matching the 1920x1200 15.6" screen (wish the Vaio Z was a bit cheaper!)

Archived