Corsair Community

RAM on new X79 system

Alex976

Hi guys

I've ordered an X79 system and I have chosen two sets of CML8GX3M2A1600C9 and two sets of CML8GX3M2A1600C9B for a total of 32GB. These are all Corsair Vengeance 2-piece sets with the same exact spec, the only difference is the color of the DIMM heatsinks (black vs blue). I plan to leave 6GB for the system and assign 26GB to a RAM drive.

Did I make a mistake not getting two 4-piece sets instead? The reason I didn't is because they were not in stock at the time I ordered the system; so I had to go for the four 2-piece sets instead.

In theory each single four-DIMM set would be preferable because all four modules are supposedly matched with each other, whereas in the two-DIMM sets the modules are only matched within each individual pair. Does it make any real difference in stability or performance?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Did I make a mistake not getting two 4-piece sets instead? The reason I didn't is because they were not in stock at the time I ordered the system; so I had to go for the four 2-piece sets instead.

Sorry , yes you did make a mistake. It is not suggested or supported that you mix memory like that. About 50/50 chance that two kits would work together let alone three. Your best bet is to cancel your order and purchase a MATCHED 32 gig kit if that is what you want.

n theory each single four-DIMM set would be preferable because all four modules are supposedly matched with each other, whereas in the two-DIMM sets the modules are only matched within each individual pair. Does it make any real difference in stability or performance?

With the newer chipsets it is more important than ever to have all your modules matched with each other. It cam make huge difference on both performance and stability. Like i stated above you have about a 50/50 chance of them either not running aat rated speed or just not working at all

Archived