Corsair Community

Problem with my new Force GT 120 GB

GermanGuy83

Hello everyone,

I got a little Problem with my new ForceGT.

Sometimes when I start my system or restart it won't boot Windows. I get the message that "Windows Start Manager" could not access the Drive....after a reset it boots up normaly.

This is very frustating especially when installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Anonther thing I noticed is that in CrystalDiskMark I get around 500 MB/s (Read) but only 170 MB/s (write) Speeds. Although this is not a very big Problem maybe it got something to do with my problem.

Things I tried so far:

BIOS Updated (including BIOS Reset)

Firmware Updated

Updated Intel Sata Controller Driver

Changed SATA Controller Driver from Intel to Microsoft Driver

Switched SATA Cable

Switched SATA Port

Nothing works so far.

Maybe one thing that is strange....before this SSD I got an OCZ SSD.

When installing Windows on this one it created 2 Partitions during the Installationprocess......one is the actual Partition where Windows is installed and one is reserved for the System.

But during this Part of the Installationprocess the ForeGT created 3 Partitions and 2 of them is reserved for the System.

Is this normal or did I do something wrong?

Hope that someone can help me.

Thx and greetings from Europe/ Germany

Anonther thing I noticed is that in CrystalDiskMark I get around 500 MB/s (Read) but only 170 MB/s (write) Speeds. Although this is not a very big Problem maybe it got something to do with my problem.

This would be normal for CrystalDiskMark. Please use ATTO benchmark, the advertised speeds were measured with this tool.

Firmware Updated

To which version? 1.3.3.? Have you performed a SecureErase and a clean Windows installation afterwards?

Switched SATA Port

SSD should be connected to the very first Intel SATAIII port (red)

But during this Part of the Installationprocess the ForeGT created 3 Partitions and 2 of them is reserved for the System.

This is not normal and could be the reason for Windows not finding the "Start Manager". There should be only one "System Reserved Partition" (100 MB in dize) which contains the Bootmanager. I don't know if it's safe to delete one of the two system reserved partitions and have your Windows installation repaired, I guess it's not. So I would recommend you to do the following:

- Disconnect all other drives, except SSD and DVD

- SecureErase your SSD with PartedMagic

- Do a clean Windows 7 installation

- Reconnect all other drives

Yes updated the firmware from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3

I switched the sata ports because I had connected it to the second port now it is connected to the first one.

No I haven't performed a clean install but I'm planning to this.

Just one question....when I perform a SecureErase should I use HDDErase 4.0 or PartedMagic?

After the SecureErase do I have to delete the created partitions or will they be deleted during the SecureErase-Process? And if not must/ can I delete them?

Just one question....when I perform a SecureErase should I use HDDErase 4.0 or PartedMagic?

After the SecureErase do I have to delete the created partitions or will they be deleted during the SecureErase-Process? And if not must/ can I delete them?

I would recommend using PartedMagic. A few users have reported issues with PM, in this case you should go the way with DOS and HDDErase 4.0.

SecureErase will delete data in every cell, thus existing partitions will be deleted. If data/partitions will remain after SE with PM, try HDDErase.

Anyway, you can create and delete partitions, but you should never do a full format, only quick format. Full format can result in poor performance or a faulty drive.

Ok used PM and had to remove the drive cause it was in frozen state...after that used a very quick format method (took only 2 seconds). I used the one that was recommended in the thread about how to restore ssd performance.

After that installed Windows 7 without creating an partition (installed directly onto the unpartitioned SSD.

Now I only got 2 Partitions the System resevered and the actual Windows-Partition.

Everything seems to work for now...several restarts and powerups without any issue.

Big thx for the help.

Archived