Corsair Community

I tested some different fan setups using a H60

beekermartin

I started off using the stock fan and configured it blowing into the case through the radiator. Then I configured it sucking out through the radiator. I could not set it up to blow out through the radiator because my ######## 902 case. The radiator hits the pci slots of the case so it won't sit flush against the case. I could have fabbed up some spacers but I didn't feel like spending the time. So my only choice was to but the fan against the case sucking through the radiator.

Anyway, I am running a stock i7 950 at 1.15volts on an EVGA X58 Micro motherboard. My case is a ######## 902 with the two front intake fans set to @ halfway, the side intake fan set to @ halfway and the top exhaust fan set to high. The difference between blowing in and sucking out was on average only 1-2 degrees different on all cores while running P95 large fft. Of course it was slightly cooler with the fan blowing in.

I then switched over to my existing Coolermaster fan from my 212+ and set it up to blow in. It averaged @1-2c lower than the stock Corsair fan. I then setup a second Coolermaster fan for a push/pull setup. That dropped the temps again by @1-2c.

So basically with just the Corsair fan blowing in I averaged @49c-50c on all cores. With the single Coolermaster fan I averaged @47c-48c on all cores. With both Coolermaster fans installed I averaged @45c-46c on all cores.

I am currently running at stock speeds and with very low voltage. I imagine the difference between different fan setups would increase as the voltage goes up. I plan on overclocking soon. Once I do I will test again. I will say the dual Coolermaster fan setup was very loud compared to the single Corsair fan. It was louder than when I was using the 212+. I imagine that is from the air turbulence going through the H60 radiator. The single Coolermaster fan was a tad bit louder than the Corsair but barely noticeable. I ran the fans at full speed of course for all tests.

I am impressed how well the H60 and stock fan did in the test. It keeps my CPU a tad bit cooler than the 212+ did with just one quieter fan. I know that the difference between the H60 and 212+ will increase once I start overclocking.

Nice test and results, beekermartin. I forgot that I have a 212+ in it's box, never used. I just got a bad impression after examining it, I just don't like most of the direct-touch heat pipe plate assemblies. But you've reminded me of it's fan...

Going by their specs, the 212+ fan has a higher top speed than the Corsair, 2000 vs 1700 RPM. The 212+ fan also has a high static pressure, rated slightly higher than the Corsair fan, which is unusual. I don't pay much attention to CFM ratings of fans, to many are exaggerated, all are to high, so they are worthless for comparisons, IMO.

In testing, I see the Corsair fan at ~1850 RPM, full speed. That is being used with a different pull fan, the Corsair is push, so I don't know if that increases it's speed. I found a decent PWM fan splitter cable, that only monitors the speed of one fan (no confusion) but sends the PWM signal to both fans, so dual fan speed control. Works fine as far as I can see.

The only PWM fans I like besides the Corsair are that Japanese company that calls their fans "Kaze ...", Japanese for wind. They are quiet at low speeds, and are above average at moving air. I'll try the 212+ fan, which is apparently sold by itself.

Thanks for the compliment.

They do sell the fan that comes with the 212+ separately. That is how I got my second one. I believe it is called a blademaster. I also have a splitter that reads only one fan but controls both.

I was surprised to see such a small increase in performance going from the single corsair fan to the dual coolermasters. I imagine there will be a larger difference once the temps get into the 70s.

I forget how much better my temps were while running Prime95 when I changed to two fans. You're right about the name of that fan.

Dissipating heat from a heat sink or radiator can be a somewhat complex topic, but let's just think about moving air through a special radiator, just a tube.

Say one fan moves X CFM of air, so another fan mounted right next to it will move 2X CFM of air. Now say we have a tube or tunnel with one fan at one end (push) and another at the end (pull.) Do we then have the same 2X amount of air moved by the two fans? No we don't. What do we get, 1.5X, or 1.75X? I'm guessing we'd get about 1.2X.

I've never seen tests done like I've described, so I don't know, but I'll look for them. In CPU cooler tests I've seen, adding a second fan usually gives about 5C more cooling ability at high temps.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran more tests over the weekend. I ran the two Coolermaster Blademaster fans setup to exhaust and ran P95 and Furmark at the same time. I did this for the absolute worse case scenario. What I found was the temps for everything, besides the CPU, were lower than when setup as intake. When I was testing as intake I was using the single Corsair fan. I plan on running the Blademasters as intake and running the same tests but I ran out of time.

I am using an Evga FTW3, i7950 at stock speed Vcore 1.15/VTT 1.30, 2 MSI Cyclone GTX 460s SLI, 6GB Kingston ram with ram cooler, and Antec 902 case. I have two front and one side intake fan and one top larger fan set to exhaust. I prefer using the H60 as exhaust for dust reasons and cooler temps for everything else in the system. Once I start overclocking and my temps rise I might have to switch to intake for the H60 to keep the cpu cool enough. I'm hoping that won't be the case though.

One of the bigger issues with my setup is that the MSI Cyclone's don't exhaust outside of the case. Therefore they demand good case airflow. With the H60 setup as intake it is blowing in hot air and disrupting the airflow. With it setup as exhaust my video card temps where @5-7c lower, as well as the vreg and system temps.

Of course running Furmark and P95 at the same time is the absolute worse case scenario. No real world use will produce that much heat. Regardless every temp is lower with the H60 setup as exhaust so that is the way I am gonna run it for now. Once I reach a stable overclock I will have to see how high the CPU temps get to see if running the H60 as exhaust keeps temps in the safe range.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally started to overclock this week. I am running an i7 950 on an EVGA X58 FTW3 mobo with 6gb of Kingston Hyper X ram in an Antec 902 case with the optional side wide window fan installed. I finally got to the much sort after 4.2 ghz overclock after much trial and error. I am now somewhat stable at 4.2ghz at 1.425 vcore. The max temps one core hit was 86c while running Linux. I am not fully stable but I am close. I would like to see lower temps than that but I think that is decent for the H60 on this setup. I currently have the H60 setup as push/pull with 2 CM Blademaster fans setup as intake. I will set it up as exhaust again once I am done stability testing. The CPU temperature difference is minimal. I prefer exhaust for overall case flow and for dust reasons. Since I am trying to reach a max overclock and stability testing every few degrees helps right now.

I am very pleased that the H60 is handling an i7 950 at 4.2ghz and 1.425 vcore. That is no easy feat.

I just flipped the fans back to exhaust intstead of intake now that I have settled on an everyday stable overclock of 4.2ghz. With everything else being equal I am seeing about a 2c difference between it setup as intake versus exhaust. One core hit 88c setup as exhaust and it hit a high of 86c setup as intake. This is while running LinX. I imagine I would see slightly higher differences while gaming since the video cards aren't being stressed while running LinX. My 902 case has very good airflow so I imagine that is why the difference is so minimal. I decided to leave it as exhaust because everything else runs cooler and of course there will be less dust.

Regardless, for now I am sticking with it setup as exhaust using the CM Blademaster fans push/pull. I will upgrade to some better fans when a good deal comes along. For now I am done testing and I am very happy with the results. Maybe this thread will help other H60 owners.

Those temps are darn good with "just" a H60. I'm trying two of the same fans you are using with my H60 on an i7-930.

Better fans? What would those be? I use one other companies PWM fans, (not the B.Masters) and they might be a bit better than the Corsair PWM fans overall, but IMO the Corsair PWM fans are very good. My first results with the B.Master's were worse than my usual pair, the Corsair and a brand that will be censored (I'll PM it to you.) Plus they were noisier at high speed. The next day they seemed to work better, the CPU temps were lower, so I need to give them some time.

I tried a famous quiet fan favored by SPCR, PWM of course, and it is not bad, but must have poor static pressure since it was worse than the stock fan. What do you think are better fans... just asking :D:. I've tried so many "magic fans" that turned out to be no big deal at all, so I am cynical. A few of them were so bad I can't believe users rave about them. I have a wall-wart device that has molex and three pin fan cables on it, so I can test fans out of a case, and hold it in my hand. Although unscientific, simply feeling the amount of air moved by a fan on your hand or face can provide a general idea of a fan's performance. Fans can be very different at the same speed, even if they look very similar.

IMO, running a H60 or H80 cooler as intake is not an issue as long as you have exhaust fans in the top of the case to pull the warmed air out immediately. That's much harder to do with a H100, due to the radiator size and mounting options. But, warmer case air used to cool a radiator is really potentially an issue only when gaming with one or more high-end video cards. Since a CPU is under a much lower load while gaming than using LinX, CPU temp issues in that scenario are likely not a problem.

I thought you might mention those fans. I've never tried one so I don't really know how good they are. What concerns me about them is their speed range, a top speed of 1500 RPM is lower than the Corsair fan and most other PWM fans. If they can provide a similar amount of air movement at that speed, great. I've seen so many non-PWM case fans that run up to ~1000 RPM that are quiet, but hardly move any air. But very high speed only matters for high loads and stress testing, so for typical use those fans could be great.

A new fan I find interesting is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185170

Not new really, but the first PWM model of its kind. Yes, they won't fit on a H-series radiator without an adapter or shroud (which I have done) but they really move some air.

Otherwise, I use these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185171

Actually, not this particular model, but they have several PWM models that are virtually identical that have been my favorite PWM fans, before I used the Corsair PWM fan, that is.

According to the specs the Cougar has @6.3 less cfm than the Blademaster but the noise level is much lower. Most of the reviews on Newegg are from H series owners and they are all positive. For now I am happy with the Blademaster fans but they are loud above 1500 rpms. At full speed they are very loud. I have them set to run at @1000 rpm when the main cpu temp, not individual cores, is below 40c. At that speed it idles around 28-30c main cpu temp and 38-40c individual cores. At that low speed they are very quiet.

If the Cougars go on sale one day maybe I will pick some up. For now I am sticking with the Blademasters.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I figured I would add to it.

I picked up a pair of Cougar CF-V12HPB PWM fans from Newegg this week because they were on sale for $8 a piece. I replaced my Blademaster fans with the Cougars. I tested both setups with 5 runs of Lin X. The Cougars had the higher single core temperature by 3c higher than the Blademasters. That is to be expected since the Blademasters run at @1950 rpms and the Cougars run at @1650 rpms. I test both setups at 100% fan speed. I also tried running the Blademasters a bit slower and I got the results you would expect. I couldn't get the rpms to match perfectly but I got them close enough. I don't have a fan controller and I am using the mobo smart fan function to try to get the rpms close. Anyway, when they are running at close to the same speeds they average the same temps. That is what I expected to happen but with all the hype about how great the Cougar fans are I was surprised they didn't perform better. Of course you can't change the laws of physics. A faster turning fan will push more air. That is obvious. The only benefit the Cougars really have is that they are fairly quiet at 100%. The Blademasters are loud at 100%, 1950-2000rpms, but then again they never hit that high with the proper fan profile and unless I am running Lin X. At the same speeds they are very close in sound level. I think the Cougars are a bit quieter but not by much.

So if you have a H60 or H80 and you want to try some new fans I am sure you will be happy with the Cougars. I happen to have Blademaster fans leftover from my 212+ and I am happy with them. The only real difference is that once the Blademaster past 1650 rpms they are louder than the Cougars. I think that is sort of obvious but that is the only real difference I can tell between the two. At the same rpms they are about equal in all aspects.

Of course YMMV. I am just pointing out my observations.

i too wanted the 3 demands that most strive for

performance,low noise,and link control

after filling up a large box of different brands of fans i came to the obvious conclusion

stock fans work best

in my newest build i have a total of 7 stock h80/100 fans installed[may add more-have slots but not needed]

in the pic below shows a full load and barely reaches 50c[using 3 test progs]

and are totally quiet but if 55c is reached they go to mid speed but under set speeds its still quiet

i dont ever see the need of full rpm but thats set at 65c

tj50.thumb.png.b85c7afb15305a068569c81c2a8877a2.png

Archived