Corsair Community

H80/H100 Installation Problems

KevinFirth

I have an Asus P8Z68-V LX with an i5 2500K. I originally purchased a H100 to complement these and after installation found the following... (at stock speed and about 1.128v)

1. CPU temperature immediately rose rapidly towards dangerous levels at about 1/2 degrees per sec.

2. The mobo reported 'cpu_fan error' - with the 3 pin connector to the cpu fan header.

3. Both H100 fans appeared to operate normally and the pump controller in the centre was lit.

When I lifted the cooler block from the CPU there was clear evidence of complete contact across the CPU.

I contacted corsair support and was told to return the unit to the reseller, which I duly did.

I then decided to replace the unit with an H80, which arrived today.

On installation I have exactly the same problem, with rapidly rising temperatures and the cpu_fan error, plus one of the cooling fans spins up for 1 second and then stops!

Am I doing something wrong here, or have I managed to get a second duff unit from Corsair? I previously had a H70 with my i5-760 which installed beautifully first time straight out of the box and kept temperatures icy cool. Now, unless I'm doing something wrong I'm going to have lost all confidence in Corsair's cooling products here ..... :(

I've checked that my mobo doesn't have any compatibility issues and I can't find anything that says there is a problem, and I've followed the installation instructions to the letter.

The attached pics show the H80 pump unit attached to the mobo from two sides and a general overview, I can't find anything that is preventing a decent fit, and the last pic shows the contact that has been made with the cpu. (apols for the poorer quality of that but you can clearly see it has made contact across the whole block.)

Can anyone provide any advice or help please? I'm just about ready to tear my hair out and/or go back to air..... :(

EDIT: I have since removed the pump and reinstalled it, making sure there was good contact. I swapped out the malfunctioning fan for one of my old ones from my H70 that worked fine and that didn't work either. Now BOTH of the fans do not function when connected to the H80 unit! They do both work though when connected to sys_fan points on the mobo, so the fault is definitely with the H80 pump unit not the fans.

I also tried resetting the firmware by following the corsair instructions on this forum (hold down the centre button for 5 secs, let run for a while and then press and hold for 5 secs while rebooting. - the centre light flashed repeatedly in a circle for a while which I assume indicated a firmware reset has taken place.)

CPU temperatures continue to climb rapidly to danger point when power is applied.

Can someone from Corsair confirm whether there is anything else I can do or if this is again a faulty unit that I am going to have to return to the reseller? Perhaps Corsair might like to have a look and see whether they want to look at this as a customer service issue, as I am now well and truly hacked off due to having 2 apparently faulty units one after the other please? If this is as good as Corsair gets now I think it would be extremely unlikely I'll purchase any of their products ever again... :(

kevin

DSC08379.thumb.JPG.c17d684f8e3aa728e90ef8f5e7325563.JPG

DSC08380.thumb.JPG.c62af8f80c623e3dc33979d0d534149f.JPG

DSC08378.thumb.JPG.76b34c594dfef6ab679b3e0b12fedd69.JPG

DSC08381.thumb.JPG.8372a256837975f67f5551ad12fc6b10.JPG

• Corsair Employees

Looks like you do have a full contact between the coldplate and CPU. Do you know what the pump's rpm? it should be your CPU fan speed, assuming you have the 3pin connected to the CPU fan header. H80 should running around 2000rpm.

Hows the fan controller on the H80? does the profile button works after the firmware reset?

What temps are you getting anyway? sorry if I missed it on your post.

Please see below reply and further update from corsair tech support, which I can't fault even though I can't seem to get the product working properly yet! The profile button does work after the formware reset, but it worked before that as well so not much difference there! CPU Temps as reported through BIOS start at ambient room temp and just climb rapidly at 1-2 degrees C per second continuously until they reach danger levels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Support Sorry to hear you are having issues with the H80 and H100.

Please make sure you are using a good power molex connector from your PSU. When the unit is on can you go into bios and see what the speed of the pump is running? It should be around 2000RPMs. Do you feel any vibration in the tubes?

Do you have a stock CPU fan you can try?

It is possible that you received two units that were faulty. Assuming all of the above is not normal, all we can suggest is an RMA. it is very rare that the units do not provided cooling, and I may point to another problem with your system. That being said I do think its the hydro coolers.

Technical Support Hello kevin,

We will send you a replacement immediately and provide you with a prepaid shipping label for the return. Corsair would appreciate the returned product so we can initiate testing on the unit. Please provide your full delivery address so that we can send a replacement to you without further delay.

Thanks for your response.

I have tried using different molex connectors (3 of them) with no difference in response. In all cases now the 2 fans spin up momentarily and then stop. The lights are always lit showing the pump mode and are responsive in that they change when the button on top is pressed.

I have looked in the BIOS but there has never been any information (either in the H100 or the H80 it was replaced with) on pump rpm shown in the BIOS. My understanding was that this was not critical to the units operation though? The 3pin connector has been connected to the cpu_fan spot on the P8Z68-V LX mobo.

Touching the coolant circulation tubes I can feel slight vibration yes, which I take to mean that coolant is, or is trying to, circulate?

The only stock fan I do still have is the old i5-760 one, but that was designed for socket 1156 not 1155. I'm afraid I do not have a stock fan to try, as I purchased the cpu OEM. I have considered using my old H70 as a comparison, but the motherboard backplate with that older unit had two sticky pads which held it to the mobo, and they are still doing an excellent job! As they would not come off without unreasonable pressure I haven't wanted to force the backplate off to try and use it on the new mobo for fear of damaging the old one, which I still want to use in the future!

Looking through the BIOS in the brief time available before shutdown I cannot see any other out of the ordinary setting or information.

If power is getting to the unit (which it is clearly), and coolant appears to be circulating (which seems to be the case from the vibration in the tubes), and there is a good contact between the H80 and the CPU (which I have checked there is), how come cpu temperature rises so rapidly? :s Is there anything else which I may have missed here?

(For info - the serial number on the sticky label on the box is: 11309402)

EDIT: I've since contacted the seller of the mobo and cpu to ask their opinion and see if there may possibly be an issue with either of those products. They have replied suggesting I reseat the cpu, and saying that the majority of overheating issues relate to poor contact between the cpu and cooler coldplate (which may well be correct but clearly isn't an issue here!) - I have previously reseated the cpu when swapping the H100 for the H80 and as documented there was no difference in operation.

Technical Support TS Has advised the client to request an RMA 12/8/2011 4:11:14 PM

Technical Support RMA Email Sent. RMA #2449102 12/8/2011 4:11:17 PM

Technical Support =>> Hi Kevin, We have arranged to send you an H100 and you will receive a call tag to return the H80. FARMA#XXXXXXX. Please allow 1-2 business days for the shipment to originate.

Best Regards,

Customer Service 12/8/2011 4:38:42 PM

You =>> Hi Corsair, Since I have the H80, could you please send one of those as a replacement please? If this issue cannot be resolved I may have to return it to the seller for a refund and I'll obviously need to return to them the same product that I purchased. Also, I replaced the original H100 with a H80 because it fits more efficiently in my case. As this fault is related to the H80 i am cureently in possession of, can we restrict any replacement to the same type please?

Thankyou

PS My telephone number is XXXXXXXXX 12/8/2011 11:04:54 PM

You =>> From a previous support message:

"We will send you a replacement immediately and provide you with a prepaid shipping label for the return"

However on the return RMA label the following is stated:

"Shipping Carrier: The consumer is responsible for return freight costs to Corsair."

Could you help clarify this for me please?

Thanks

kevin

Since my post on 9th December I have posted in my technical support thread (Case #2449102) several times asking for clarification on the shipping issue and the replacement unit. I have also emailed customer support as suggested by Ramguy. The last technical support contact was on 8th Dec, now over 96 hours ago. I have not had any response to my customer support email.

I am seeing more and more threads in here about faulty units, including most recently someone who has been sent an RMA from the previously identified faulty batch, and contact from Corsair has disappeared faster than a politician after election day, so I have I'm afraid lost faith in Corsair being committed to, and being able to, resolve my problem :(

It is now 2000GMT and there's nothing I can do tonight, but I'm afraid if there hasn't been a satisfactory reply by 0800hrs GMT tomorrow morning I will be returning the unit to the reseller for a refund and obtaining an alternate watercooling product not manufactured by Corsair. That appears to be the only way I can get my PC functioning again in any reasonable timeframe. :(

I'm a little disappointed because I really wanted this to work out - my H70 ran like a dream and that bought a lot of loyalty. The current problems have reversed that and I just don't feel that I can trust a Corsair watercooler again now - it's disturbingly like finding your partner has been having an affair, you know the relationship is irrevocably broken down but you don't really want to believe it :(

Kevin

I am seeing more and more threads in here about faulty units, including most recently someone who has been sent an RMA from the previously identified faulty batch, and contact from Corsair has disappeared faster than a politician after election day, so I have I'm afraid lost faith in Corsair being committed to, and being able to, resolve my problem :(

Not so, Corsair is closed on the weekends (when you posted) and sometimes does not get to forum thread until tuesday from the back log over the weekend.

Not so, my questions were asked on Thursday 8th December, easily plenty enough time to respond on the Friday, especially as I provided my telephone number as requested. Incidentally I have still not had a response to any request.

If that is an officially sanctioned Corsair support timeline then their idea of good customer service and support is unfortunately a lot different to mine.

At the very least a message indicating my issue could not be dealt with immediately would have been some help, but to literally abandon a customer without any communication when they have been let down multiple times with defective products is just plain poor service.

I would rather like my PC on which I spent a lot of hard earned money to be up and running and useful, preferably before Christmas, and rather unfortunately Corsair's lack of contact before, during and after the weekend gives me no confidence that they have any intention or capability of expediting a resolution to my issue.

I deal on a day to day basis with much smaller outfits than Corsair, (in some cases husband and wife teams), who provide superlative customer support even at weekends. If Corsair believe that they are too big to fail and can cut corners on such support then that is their prerogative, but they shouldn't expect to retain me as a loyal customer in such circumstances.

Thankyou

Kevin

• Corsair Employees
The number is available to you through a long distance calling card or a service like Skype Monday Through Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time. I am sorry that you post was not answered in a timely fashion, but some times we do get over whelmed.

Ram Guy

Thanks for your last comment on the timescales, your input on the forum thread here was useful up to a point thankyou, it was unfortunately your technical support team and customer service team that failed to provide any kind of response after Thursday 8th. Your efforts, although ultimately unsuccessful, were appreciated - thankyou!

kevin

FINAL EDIT: I have today returned my H80 to the reseller, and purchased an Antec Kuhler H20 620 instead. This is actually the same design as my previous Corsair watercooler, (which worked fine), the backplate, mounting mechanism etc is all exactly the same. Within 5 mins it was out of the box and installed and straight away idle temps on my i5 2500K 3.3GHz are 21/22 degrees and steady, not rising rapidly as they did before with the H100 and H80. Problem solved - For me this confirms completely the problem was with the H100 and H80 coolers.

Also, incidentally as a learning point for Corsair, I happened to be at home this lunchtime for 10 minutes to receive delivery of the said Antec cooler. A UPS van pulled up and waved a return note from Corsair, presumably for my H80 RMA. There had been no notification that the pre-paid shipping was coming, or that it was UPS, or that it would be today, so had I not been at home by happy random co-incidence the UPS man would have called, got no response and gone away again, who knows whether to ever return. There has still been no reply to my questions originating in either the technical support thread or my email to customer services. I might have thought it a useful bit of communication that, to let the customer know that a) yes there would be a pre-paid shipping return, and b) that the item would be collected by courier (I could have made alternative arrangements for it to be collected form work rather than home), and c) roughly what timescale that might be in?

Had I not made the decision to return the H80 from whence it came and order a different replacement, I would still now have been waiting for an answer to my questions from Corsair, I would have not had the RMA collected, I would still be without my PC and I would still not have any sliver of a clue about when the problem would be fixed. Nuff said I think.......

Archived