Corsair Community

CMX512RE-3200LL and Prescott

I have a TWINX CMS512RE-3200LL XMS3200REv2.1 DDR pair. Bought them from newegg.com. Their site didn't say anything about Athlon and, with some alarm, I got them and on the package it said "Registered Memory for AMD Athlon 64 FX". Can I expect this memory to work with a 3.2Ghz Intel Prescott cpu? I bought the memory specifically because it has ECC (and was fast of course! 8^)). The motherboard hasn't come in yet but it says "Four 18-pin DDR SDRAM 2.5v DIMM sockets. Support DUAL channel DDR 400/333 up to 4GB (ECC Memory)" It all sounds like it should work but there is that worrisome "for Athlon 64 FX" announcement on the package.

Because all Corsair memory is designed using the JEDEC standards, it will work with any DDR compliant system that uses Registered and ECC memory. You stated that your board supports ECC memory, but what about Registered memory?

Registered is not a word that appears in the manual except in "registered trademark". The word non-registered appears once. It says "This motherboard also supports ECC (error correcting colde) memory DDR modules." In the BIOS section of the manual it talks about DRAM Data Integrity Mode which auto-detects whether "your DDR RAM is ECC or not". I just found this in the manual: "The SY-P4I875P DRAGON 2 supports PC2700 and PC3200 DDR (non-registered and ECC) memory modules." English is definitely not the first language of the writer(s) of this manual so... I'm not sure if this means the board will accept nonregistered memory and it will also accept ECC memory or whether it means that ECC memory must also be unregistered. It also says "Note that you can use normal DDR memory for Dual Channel to work." I presume, but do not know, that "normal" means nonregistered non-ECC. Is Registered memory significantly different than nonregistered memory at the interface (does the board need to worry about the difference)? The motherboard is a SOYO SY-P4I875P Dragon 2.

On the SOYO site I find a page that seems to be a list of memory known to be compatible with the motherboard. The memory I have is CMX512RE-3200LL and on the list is Corsair CMS512 -3200LL which would seem to imply that the motherboard does ECC but not registered ECC. The CMS512-3200LL is neither registered or ECC. I was reading on the Corsair site earlier today and it said that all Corsair ECC memory was also registered. If this board can do ECC but cannot do Registered, that would seem to imply that there is no Corsair ECC memory that I can use in it if I want ECC. Correct or no?

Archived