Corsair Community

Using Corsair Force 3 ssd drive for my second drive issues

alanrs1

Hello all, first a little background. I just built my first pc (specs included in profile). This was a project with my 10 year old son. The build went perfect until I tried to install a second drive for storage. Our first drive is strictly for the operating system and video games. Second this is my first time using a forum so please excuse me if I am not doing this correctly.

My issue is that we installed the second drive which is a corsair force 3 ssd 120gb. This is identical to my main drive. The install went ok but when I look in my computer at the drive it states that the drive is 100gb with only 71 gb available. When I look at the drive it states that it is empty. I have looked through the web and these forums but can not find what I am doing wrong. I am assuming it is user error and not a faulty drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day.

Thank you for the responses. I checked if quotas were enabled and they are not. I am not sure how to check if system restore has allocated space. I will try to look that up on the internet.

What is really confusing me is that it states it is only a 100gb drive. Should state 111gb from all I have read. Then it blocked off another 29gb.

Another thing I have found is that it named the drive "reserve drive". Could windows 7 64bit be doing something to the drive vs how I installed it.

thanks

I am not sure how to check if system restore has allocated space.

I will try to explain it, but since I'm not using an english version of Windows 7, I'm not sure about the correct naming!

Go to "Windows Control Panel" -> "System" -> "Advanced System Settings" and click on the second from the right ("Computer Security"), there you can see to which drive(s) system restore is located to.

Another thing I have found is that it named the drive "reserve drive". Could windows 7 64bit be doing something to the drive vs how I installed it.

Could you provide s screenshot of Windows Disk Management? I think this might be helpful.

Alanrs1, you haven't formated your second drive yet. You need to right click on the unallocated drive (Under disk management) and perform a "quick format". The 100GB you are seeing IS NOT 100GB but 100MB which is the reserve space Windows 7 uses when you install Windows...

Please read thru this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26202884-WIN7-Reinstalled-Windows-7-but-100MB-reserve-not-looking-right

Alanrs1, you haven't formated your second drive yet. You need to right click on the unallocated drive (Under disk management) and perform a "quick format". The 100GB you are seeing IS NOT 100GB but 100MB which is the reserve space Windows 7 uses when you install Windows...

Please read thru this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26202884-WIN7-Reinstalled-Windows-7-but-100MB-reserve-not-looking-right

Thanks for your response. This is my secondary drive I have OS on the first drive. I right click on the drive and hit format and it tells me that is can not format this drive

Presentation5.jpg.2034895d3a495855dd5efe5875bbcd0f.jpg

You did not read my post... I said click on the "Unallocated drive" and perform a quick format on it. Both your C: drive and E: drive is apart of Windows... E: drive is what Windows partitioned when you performed the install - IT IS YOUR SYSTEM RESERVE DRIVE...

Did you read the link I gave you? It explains everything in detail.

RIGHT CLICK ON THE BLACK SPACE BELOW YOUR C:/E: drive and do a quick format.

Archived