Corsair Community

Best upgrade path for full slots TWIN2X2048-6400C4

memeics

So as described in my specs I'm a very happy user of 2 kits of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12 2.0v) of different hardware revisions (as they were bought in different continents and some years apart).

I wish to add more memory to my system (I'm thinking of getting a >=4G kit so in total I would have >=6G). Since my motherboard has 4 memory slots I have no available slots to add new DIMMs to so I'll have to change one of the kits with something new. But since I keep the whole system at 4-4-4-12 v2.0 memory configuration I'm confused to what kit I could use in this configuration.

My best bet so far is to buy a TWIN2X4096-6400C5 kit (or the C5C version, whichever is better). However, I worry how that will work with the remaining TWIN2X2048-6400C4. I think it's clear that I won't be able to run them at 4-4-4-12 so I guess I'm going to try running them at the maximum latency of the 2 kits, 5-5-5-18. What voltage would I need for that configuration, the default of 1.8v?

To summarize, should a 5-5-5-18 v1.8 system configuration work nicely for these 2 different kits in the same system? Or is there a 2x2G kit that can run in a 4-4-4-12 v2.0 (or v2.1) configuration?

Thanks!

In short there is no way to tell if they will work or not. You are one of the lucky one that has been able to mix kits with out any issues. Thats not often the case.

Basically you can try what you want , but there is just no way to guarantee compatibility between two non tested kits. Seriously, your best bet would be to replace what you have with a matched kit and not add another.

Thanks for your answer, I'm not saying that you're wrong but this is frustrating.

Saying that in order to know for sure if certain kits would work together the only way is to actually test them like that is like saying that memory configuration depends on the moon phase. There has to be technical specifications that can be checked and matched to create a working configuration. Either the industry doesn't care to do that or their engineering process is lacking. In other engineering domains such things would be unacceptable.

Buying 8G of DDR2 is kinda expensive (probably cheaper to get a DDR3 mobo and DDR3 RAM) :(

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry but since we no longer offer an 8 or 16 Gig set of DDR2 there is no other option but to mix to sets and officially that is not suggested or supported.

There is no way we can guarantee two sets will work together unless they are sold as one matching set that has been tested together. However in most DDR2 MB's you can mix tow matching sets but you may have to increase the memory and memory controller voltage and in the worst case lower the memory frequency to the next lower speed grade.

Archived