Corsair Community

Recommended SATA3 Controller for Force GT in RAID0

leeshelford

Hi guys,

Just after some recommendations around Corsair Force GT SSD's in RAID0...

Okay so am i asking too much to want to be able to stripe 2 or 4 Force GT's together? So far i have had some rubbish results...

Initially i had the ASUS P6X58D-Premium (Marvell 9128) and quickly discovered the stability issues and bottleneck of the Marvell 9128 Controller only using 1 PCI-e 1x lane.

So i went out and bought the new ASUS RAMPAGE 3 Black Edition with its new Marvell 9182 controller which uses 2 PCI-e 1x lanes instead of 1 and was hoping would be more stable - Its not! In the end i had to put a single Force GT on the Intel SATA2 Controller to make it work well.

Finally i have bought a Lycom PE-118i Hardware SATA3 Controller which uses 8x PCI-e lanes. But i cant even get my Force GT initialized with this card.

- Has anyone had the same issues i am seeing with the Force 3 and GT SSD's on SATA3 Controllers RAID'ed or not?

- Am i asking too much to want to Stripe a few SSD's together in RAID0 to get blazing performance?

- Can anyone recommend a hardware SATA3 Controller that actually works with the Force GT's?

Many thanks,

Lee.

- Can anyone recommend a hardware SATA3 Controller that actually works with the Force GT's?

Never tried to setup Force 3/GT in RAID 0, but AFAIK native Intel SATA3 controller will work very well, they are recommended for those drives. I guess there is a slight incompatibility between Marvell controller and Sandforce controller. Look here, maybe this guy can help you: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=529919&postcount=10

I guess there is a slight incompatibility between Marvell controller and Sandforce controller.

Actually, no there is no incompatibility. The Marvell controllers on the MOBOs are bugged and are simply not very good. At this time, we are not testing 3rd party controllers so I do not have any input or recommendations there. My suggestion is a MOBO with native SATA3/6Gb support.

Archived