Corsair Community

New Corsair SSD incoming - a little help, please

rsomazzi

I've been building boxes for many years, so I am not new to PC hardware. What I do find a little daunting is after reading about all the topics here about SSDs, I am a little concerned about setting sail properly on my incoming Force 3 series Corsair 90GB SSD (hasn't arrived yet).

I have an older Kingston 64GB SSDNow drive as secondary to a regular SATA WD boot drive (640GB) and was hoping to make this Kingston SSD the boot drive once the Corsair one arrives. The Corsair drive I plan on using for the most used apps - Adobe, Games, etc, and the SATA WD drive for all other apps.

After reading about AHCI in the BIOS and AHCI driver in W7, TRIM, Secure Erase, firmware updates, Hibernate, BSODs and other junk, I am feeling a little lost as to my first steps once the drive arrives.

Could someone give me a quick list of sh--tuff I should do to make sure my install goes properly, with the full potential from SATA III? Yes, you can assume I know how to physically mount the drive w/ SATA III cable and port on my mobo.

Much thanks...

rsom

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 mobo

Core i5-2500k @ 4 Ghz

Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 (single)

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600

Corsair HX850 modular p/s

- Make sure to connect your SSD to the very first Intel SATA3 port (gray, SATA3_0)

- Set SATA controller to AHCI mode in BIOS

- Install Windows 7 into unpartitioned space (Windows will perform quick format, never perform full format)

That's it, TRIM will be enabled by default. I would recommend to move TEMP and Internet Temp files to a mechanical HDD. Pagefile (if you need it) can be left to the SSD.

If you are using an old system atm, I would recommend to plug the SSD as secondary drive and check the firmware version. Upgrade to 1.3.3 if needed and perform a SecureErase with PartedMagic afterwards. Then plug it into your new build.

Thanks for the tips.

I wanted to make my older SATA SSD (King ston SSDnow V series 64BG) the boot drive and leave the Corsair 90GB SSD the applications drive.

Does this mean I HAVE to plug in the older SSD into the 3_0 port as your described? I did not intend on using the newer Sata III Corsair SSD as the boot drive, but will if I am restricted to using particular ports on the mobo to make this happen.

So, my intention is to connect the older SSD as the boot drive (and leave all other drives, SSD or not, power unplugged during the Win7 install, and then connect the newer SSD and HDD afterwards to use as application drives.

How does this sound?

It'll work. That board comes with two Intel SATA 3 capable ports, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1, both colored grey. Hook whichever SSD drive you want to be the operating system drive to SATA3_0, go into the BIOS and set SATA Mode to AHCI, exit the BIOS saving changes, then install the operating system. Once your done getting everything installed shut down and install the other SSD drive to the remaining SATA 3 capable port, SATA3_1. Once you boot back into Windows, be sure to go into Disk Management and initialize the Corsair (Right-Click on the 90GB drive) SSD drive.

Archived