Corsair Community

Yet another noisy AX850W

Adash123

Yeh, I just bought one. I put it into my existing system about 1 week ago and started getting the exact same loud noises as in the youtube videos.

I checked out this forum and found it is quite a common (relatively) problem. Tried many things already but the noise is still there intermittently. I also bought a 600T special edition so the fact that even at it's lowest noise, it is clearly audible over 2 x 200mm case fans and a Corsair H50 is really unacceptable for a 'professional' power supply.

I put in for an RMA earlier today but have since realized I have to pay for the outward shipping? Well, sorry but that's not realy acceptable either. Not after two weeks and with a known issue.

I'd send it back to Amazon.co.uk for a replacement but I might get another faulty one, so unless Corsair will pay for outward shipping as well, it looks like I'm going to have to return it and buy something else. I mean all this hassle and all I want is a good power supply that doesn't make a load of noise. Really don't fancy doing the manual fix either...and void the warranty on a pro PSU? That's not an option.

Has anyone had any reports of this on the enthusiast version? Or in fact, does anyone use an enthusiast version and coud reccomend it as an alternative?

I'm in the same boat as you. You probably saw my thread here - AX850 Coil Whine

I would hope that if we RMA with Corsair we will for certain get an AX850 back that has no coil whine.

I filled out an RMA with Corsair and I want to do an advanced RMA, I don't care about giving my credit card away as collateral - I just want the power supply I paid for without any coil whine.

It is going to make a lot of people irate if there are more AX850 out there in the wild with this issue. I would hope that there are no shipping charges for cross ship - The customer shouldn't be punished for an issue that they have no control over.

You don't want to know how pissed I would be if I got a replacement from Buy.com that has the same coil whine...

Hey I found some encouraging news from a member at HardOCP Forums -

My first ax850 whined and I rma'd it, Corsair was good to work with and sent me a brand new one in the box without me lifting a finger, I put the old one in the box and shipped it out(my dime)to them.

They let me keep my old cables AND the new set of cables which was nice, I just sent the unit back by itself.

They're great PSU's but the whine is definitely a pain in the ***.

From http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644340&page=2

That forum member says the unit he got back in return has no whine. If you read through that thread there is mixed responses about the coil whine. One forum member in that thread says -

Get ready to play RMA roulette if coil whine bothers you

Obviously this issue is more widespread than it seems.

I recieved the RMA email this morning, and I have to pay to ship my PSU to the Netherlands from the UK? Are you kdding me???? For this? Faulty out of the box and known widespread issue? So what are the options for an advanced RMA? How fo I request one of those?

I recieved the RMA email this morning, and I have to pay to ship my PSU to the Netherlands from the UK? Are you kdding me???? For this? Faulty out of the box and known widespread issue? So what are the options for an advanced RMA? How fo I request one of those?

If you want to do an advanced RMA you will want to call customer service.

I just called customer service and setup and advanced RMA for my noisy AX850. You give them your credit card #, they put a temporary charge on your card, then send you the replacement PSU, then they remove the charge when receiving the old PSU.

The rep I spoke with yesterday ended up saying they would pay for all shipping cost "because of how short of time I had the power supply". I don't know if this is really the case, or if the rep finally sensed that I was going to send this AX850 back to Buy.com and never buy a Corsair product again if they made me pay any of the shipping cost.

Overall I feel that customer's shouldn't have to pay shipping costs to RMA a product that doesn't perform as it should the first day out of the box.

/edit

And in this situation it is not sensible to send it back to the retailer you bought it from - Because they may send you another unit with the same issue. You would have just wasted your time and money in shipping.

The rep on the phone said to let them know if the new unit still has the same issue. Wow... this new replacement unit may have the same issue. Apparently there is no specific batch or revision that has coil whine, just random. It really makes you wonder how many AX850's out there all have this same issue.

If you want to do an advanced RMA you will want to call customer service.

I just called customer service and setup and advanced RMA for my noisy AX850. You give them your credit card #, they put a temporary charge on your card, then send you the replacement PSU, then they remove the charge when receiving the old PSU.

The rep I spoke with yesterday ended up saying they would pay for all shipping cost "because of how short of time I had the power supply". I don't know if this is really the case, or if the rep finally sensed that I was going to send this AX850 back to Buy.com and never buy a Corsair product again if they made me pay any of the shipping cost.

Overall I feel that customer's shouldn't have to pay shipping costs to RMA a product that doesn't perform as it should the first day out of the box.

/edit

And in this situation it is not sensible to send it back to the retailer you bought it from - Because they may send you another unit with the same issue. You would have just wasted your time and money in shipping.

The rep on the phone said to let them know if the new unit still has the same issue. Wow... this new replacement unit may have the same issue. Apparently there is no specific batch or revision that has coil whine, just random. It really makes you wonder how many AX850's out there all have this same issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

It seems RMA Guy is unwilling to consider this whole situation unacceptable and I'm not paying for a call from the UK to the US just to argue semantics. What makes it worse is I was on a pro graphics forum yesterday and a guy said his new psu was whining...yeh...AX850...I guessed it correctly.

I don't have anything against Corsair, but on this, they are obvioulsy cowering in a corner trying to avoid a full product recall...and getting their customers to pay half the shipping in the process with no garauntee it would actualy fix the issue (if indeed it is random), and I find that really low of them.

I'm sending mine back to Amazon tommorrow. I haven't decided if I'll trust another Corsair unit yet. Might get an OCZ one....

Archived