Corsair Community

Spontaneous reboots

Rennie

Hi!

I have an early x58 I7 system now for a little more then 2 years.

It has always runs smoothly. Up until recently i had 6gb memory.

To be precise the Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D 6Gb kit of 3.

I recenlty added Corsair CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 Corsair Dominator 12 GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 9. I needed more memory for my 3D work.

I am sometimes getting random reboots now. It doesn't occur very often but often enough for a power user like me to find it annoying. And for my graphics work I need a stable system.

I saw at the corsair site both the type of modules were tested to be compatible with my motherboard.

The timings are a bit different. Where the 6gb kit has 8-8-8-20 the 12gb kit has 9-9-9-24. I put the memory timings in my bios on the latter to match the slowest. This produced no results. I also raised the DDR voltage to 1.64 (it doesn't allow me to enter 1.65 with this board as the modules were tested on according to the corsair site). This also had no effect.

To be clear I haven't had any blue screens or crashes. My monitors just go dark and it reboots. I haven't been able to get an obvious reason. Just the other day i was watching a movie it reset twice during. Then the whole day it was stable and in the evening it reset once again, also when watching a movie btw. And just now it reset while i was doing photoshop work.

I also added an Intel 510 SSD 120gb to my system a week before the memory and i used Acronis True Image to restore my image from my ******** Velociraptor 130gb to my new ssd. This worked perfectly and I haven't experienced any problems or reboots until I plugged in the extra memory.

Any ideas?

Yes i'm trying to mix the modules. This shouldn't be a problem. I have mixed so many modules. In my last computer I mixed corsair and kingston without any problems. Also in my work as a computer technician i have mixed so many brands in one computer.

I currently reset my motherboard to the factory default settings. I had also overclocked a bit. Set the memory speed to 1500 MHZ instead of the standard 1066. And the clockspeed to 3.1ghz instead of 2.66.

Now it's all at default. My motherboard puts the default timings at 8-8-8-20 Today I haven't had any resets yet (still with mixed modules).

I actually do want some extra max speed through overclocking in combination with the extra ram. What are the correct settings for these modules.

Well this is officially not supported thing is a vendors way to hide behind in regard to warranty issue. If anything is amiss and nothing really obvious is wrong but it still doesn't work they can always say, yeah it's not supported so bad luck for you.

Anyway i haven't had any issue yesterday when i put everything on default on my motherboard. Could be coincidence I don't know. In the morning today I changed the enable XMP set to extreme. I saw the timings were a little looser. The frequency was 1600 and the voltage 1.65. Have had 1 reboot today when i was photoshopping.

I just pulled all my old modules and ran memtest 86+ for 2 passes. Took 3 hours. No errors. So now i'm gonna test it with only the 12gb with xmp. See what that's gonna turn out.

Well this is officially not supported thing is a vendors way to hide behind in regard to warranty issue. If anything is amiss and nothing really obvious is wrong but it still doesn't work they can always say, yeah it's not supported so bad luck for you.
It has nothing to do with the warranty. You can always RMA a memory kit for any reason, but there's just no way they can guarantee compatibility between two kits when they haven't tested it.

Alright, well I haven't had any problems with it ever. And if i had something was defective. Either motherboard or one of the modules.

Not going to discuss this further though.

I'll get back with more results. See if the current configuration is gonna work.

Memtest hasn't turned up anything. Although in my experience it's not to reliable. I've seen many cases were memtest said the modules were fine but the system still experienced problems. Replacing them with new modules (same brand and type) fixed the problem. So this i gonna be a tough one.

well I have been running the 12gb with xmp to extreme now for a few days. No problems it seems. No reboots. Although I have run an prime 95 stress test. With extra ram. It used 10gb. I left the house and when i came back it was on a blue screen.

When I use Bluescreen view to view the dump files it says

Crash Time : 2-12-2011 16:54:22

Bug Check String :

Bug Check Code : 0x00000124

Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000

Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0a17f028

Parameter 3 : 00000000`fe200040

Parameter 4 : 00000000`0040014a

Caused By Driver : hal.dll

Caused By Address : hal.dll+12a3b

File Description :

Product Name :

Company :

File Version :

Processor : x64

Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40

Stack Address 1 :

Stack Address 2 :

Stack Address 3 :

Computer Name :

Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\120211-12448-01.dmp

Processors Count : 8

Major Version : 15

Minor Version : 7601

Dump File Size : 289.760

Does this mean it's caused by an operating system error? Should I reinstall, or is it a hardware error?

Archived