Corsair Community

H60 - Temp Question / Push Pull Setup

lewski

Hi,

I have a generic question on my temps now that I have my H60 installed, pulling air from the inside of the case.

I am running an i2600K all auto BIOS settings so 3.4Ghz to 3.8Ghz turbo stock clock. Running Prime95 all 8 threads now for about 90 minutes and I am between 58C ~ 60C steady at load. Idle I am in the high 30'sC ~ 40C.

Are these temps about right with the H60? Will it improve dramatically with push/pull?

Keep in mind, my H60 is inverted installed in a case where it has to provide exaust, so its sucking case are, not outside air.

Thanks!

Given your PC and its configuration, your temps are good. One limiting factor in your case is your..., um, case. The internal air temperature will affect the cooling ability of the H60, if the air is warmer than the outside air, you won't be able to cool your CPU lower than that, obviously. I'm not familiar with your case, so you'll know more about this than I.

Adding a pull fan will lower the CPU temps by ~5C at most, so not a dramatic difference, unless you consider that dramatic. How you will control the speed of the pull fan is something you need to determine. I have used PWM fan splitter cables, which work fine if they are built correctly. You will be limited to no more than 1 Amp/12 Watts power usage total for both fans if you use the mother board CPU Fan header, but that is not difficult to achieve.

Thanks for the advise.

The 120mm spot is the only exhaust fan on the case (FT02), so have no choice on that. I do have 3x 180mm fans pulling in cool air from the bottom, so its relativity cool in the case itself compared to the room its in.

I have looked at YTube videos on configurations in that case, so I know I'm not the first. As long as I am not going to melt the CPU, I am OK. Even O.C. with Prime95 I don't go over 64C at worst case, so far.

Ill try push pull and see how it goes. Already ordered the fan from you guys, screws, and PWM fan splitter cable.

I agree you really have no choice besides using the H60 in an exhaust configuration, since your case is a prime example of a positive pressure case. You would be in the same situation regardless of CPU cooler. Given the large amount of fresh air from the intake fans, I think you don't have any issues to overcome with CPU cooling.

Since standard air CPU coolers will exhaust most if not all of the warmed air from the CPU directly into the case, a H-series cooler in an exhaust configuration is really the optimal CPU cooler for your type of case. The vast majority of heat from the CPU is immediately exhausted from the case. A push pull configuration will enhance that affect as much as possible. IMO, you can't do better than your current configuration.

I agree, I think my setup is fine.

BTW, I think my temps were off before. I was using CoreTemp64 for my readings, so I decided to install the ASUS Probe utility, and the temp's were 10C less over CoreTemp.

I checked against the BIOS and the ASUS util was accurate. So, realistically I am at 28 ~ 32C idle, 55 ~ 62C at 100% load O.C. profile to 4.43Ghz. The current fan is in a pull orientation exhausting, silent fan profile.

When I get my new fan ill install the push, and get on with my life, I think these temps are reasonable enough.

Thanks again for all the advise...

Archived