Corsair Community

MSI k9agm2 compatibility

Allen46

Hi,

While I've always worked with computers, I've never really dealt with the components on my own so I am a bit of a noob to this. I was hoping to upgrade the memory in my desktop to 4 GB from the 1 GB that is currently on there, but after doing some research I found that a 32-bit OS can only run up to 2 GB and I am running Windows XP 32-bit. Can anyone confirm and clarify this for me? While my computer works fine, it has been becoming more sluggish and I was hoping to load AutoCAD on my computer. Does anyone know if my motherboard and OS is capable of running AutoCAD even with an upgrade to the supposed max of 2 GB or if it is actually possible to put 4 GB's in it?

You can use up to 4 gig with 32 bit OS's. However Windows will only recognize about 3.25gigs. So you are basically wasting 3/4 of a gig. 4 gig kits are the most common upgrades for those systems though.

If you are going to run auto cad i would strongly suggest a 64 bit operating system and at least 8 gigs of memory. Any type of CAD or modeling software uses huge amounts of memory. We have had people here in the forums using 24 gig kits and using almost all of that while running those softwares.

You can install it on a 32 nit system , but it will be painfully slow.

Archived