Corsair Community

H100 and 38mm fans

Alexnova

Hey all just purchased an H100 and while I have been thinking about doing a push/pull configuration I instead decided on doing a single line of 120mmx120mmx38mm fans. Namely the SD 1011s.

What screw sizes will I need to hook up the fans to the radiator? If anyone can point me to a place where I can purchase them, that would be great (Fastenal wants alot of money for S/H costs).

Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employees
I would take the screws that came with the kit to your local hardware/Hobbie store and match them with the right length you need for the fans. I am sorry but we would would not have information on non corsair fans.

38mm fans are very close to 50% greater in depth than a 25mm fan. Since a 25mm fan is very close to one inch in depth, half of that is 1/2 inch. The screws provided by Corsair are 6/32 x 1 1/4", so 38mm fans would need 1 3/4" screws. You may not easily find 1 3/4" screws, so using 2" screws will be fine.

Personally, when I need specific length, non-standard screws, I purchase extra long ones, 3" - 4", and cut them with a hack saw to the required length. I've done that many times, it works just fine.

38mm fans are very close to 50% greater in depth than a 25mm fan. Since a 25mm fan is very close to one inch in depth, half of that is 1/2 inch. The screws provided by Corsair are 6/32 x 1 1/4", so 38mm fans would need 1 3/4" screws. You may not easily find 1 3/4" screws, so using 2" screws will be fine.

Personally, when I need specific length, non-standard screws, I purchase extra long ones, 3" - 4", and cut them with a hack saw to the required length. I've done that many times, it works just fine.

Thanks for that parsec, I have the same question I wanted to ask, and wanted to know if I should go for the exact perfect length I need, or if I can cut them back to a custom sized length without damaging the thread.

I have not had any problems with damaging the threads, although I will always take a nut that fits those screws, and screw it on and off a few times on the freshly cut screw to remove any nicks on the threads.

I also use a vice to hold the screws, clamping the screw on the end that will not be used (cut off), and use a sharp hack saw blade. Be sure to measure and measure again, as it is very easy to make a mistake with the length, I've certainly done that. IMO, it's better to be a little long then short. If you feel the screw is a bit to long, use some washers to adjust the length, rather than trimming a small amount from the screw.

Archived