Corsair Community

Force GT 240 GB on new build

Akecheta

Bought a 240GB Corsair Force Series GT SSD for my new build using an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Mobo. Just want some ideas for pre planning what would be the best way to setup the SSD. All the research I been doing is confusing me. I will not be using RAID and using Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Should I use Intel or Marvell connectors or it doesn’t matter? Seeing this is a new build should I up date the Firmware right away and if so do I need install all (1.2>1.3>1.3.2>1.3.3) or just the latest?

I was thinkning could have issues doing this since using an old OS that is XP. To do this firmware update I would download this file http://www2.corsair.com/yellowbeard/force3gt133/Force%20GT%20240GB.zip to XP desktop. Run the Firmware update. When completes secure erease using Parted Magic. I followed directions from http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85344 to secure erase the SSD with Parted Magic. Once I get my build done I then can put SSD into case and install Windows 7. What is the purpose of secure eresing SSD if nothing is installed, just curious why?

Before I update the firmware to 1.3.3 using my old Windows XP system I was not able to switch to AHCI mode in BIOS in XP. I got a messegae if I did switch it I would lose my RAID configuration and might not able to load OS. Am I better off updating Firmwae once my Windows 7 build is done?

There is no need to change SATA mode from RAID to AHCI, a single drive which is connected to SATA controller running in RAID mode and is no member of a RAID array will run in AHCI mode. Upgrade tool should work.

Another option would be to disconnect all other drives in your WinXP system, connect your SSD to it, set SATA controller to AHCI and boot from Hiren's Boot CD or into the Repair Console of Windows 7 32bit to run the upgrade tool.

Thanks everyone for help plus the documentation I found on this forum is easy to follow and idiot proof. I copied many of them for future use. I was able to update firmware from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 and is been verified when I scanned the drive. Once that was done I secured arease the drive like mention by Wired.

Archived