Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B Compatability

dolshina

I hope I've posted this question in the correct area. I'm new here so I'm not sure.

I wonder if someone can provide an answer for me.

I would like to purchase CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B -- This is 16GB of memory in 4x4GB sticks of DDR3 1600MHz 240 pin.

I would like to use three of the sticks now, in my current build, utilizing an Asus Rampage III Formula mobo, X58 chipset triple channel with an i7 930. Since only three sticks are required in this motherboard, I'd like to use the three and have 12GB of memory, and I would simply hold the 4the stick aside in a safe place.

In Q4 of 2012 when Ivy Bridge-E is released, (probably with the X79 chip set socket 2011), I would then like to use all 4 sticks in that build.

It seems to me that this memory should work as either dual channel, triple channel or quad channel depending on the motherboard requirements..

Am I correct? I've tried Googleing this but haven't been able to come up with anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for that fast response!

As long as you're sure, I'll pull the trigger on one of the Cyber Monday sales this evening.

I started thinking about this a few weeks ago because memory is sooooo inexpensive right now. I figured by the time I'm ready for an IB-E build a year from now, 8GB will probably cost me $140.00, and I can get 16GB now for around $69.00.

Thanks again

Archived