Corsair Community

H60 Push Pull - What do I need

lewski

Hi,

I have an H60 installed with an i2600K in a case where the fan has to draw from the case, not the outside.

Although I think my temps are respectable, I want to add a fan for push pull.

I know I need another 120mm x25mm fan PWM, but I am unsure of what screws I need to mount it. I am concerned if I get something too long ill puncture the radiator.

Can someone please tell me what length screw's I will need?

Thanks...

~lewSki

The screws supplied with the H60 (or any Hydro series coolers) are 6/32 X 1 1/4". Longer screws won't puncture the radiator, the screw holes are located between the fluid channels. The very thin metal fins between the water channels that are behind the screw holes do not contain fluid, and can be pushed aside with a toothpick without any damage or compromising cooling.

OK, I got the fan from store.corsair.com, and I got the screws from another place.

I have just a generic question on my temps now. I am running i2600K all auto so 3.4Ghz to 3.8Ghz stock clock. Running Prime95 all 8 threads now for about 90 minutes and I am between 58C ~ 60C steady. Idle I am in the high 30'sC.

Are these temps about right with the H60? Will it improve dramatically with push/pull?

Keep in mind, my H60 is inverted installed in a case where it has to provide exaust, so its sucking case are, not outside air.

Thanks!

Added a second generic 120mm fan to my stock H60 setup making it a Push Pull.

Can't give you exact numbers because I was not that concerned with it but, if I had to guess from memory. BIOS was telling me I was low 30s idle, now idle at 21 sometimes 20, depending on ambient in the house.. I do have three other 120mm fans in my case creating plenty of air flow, so any heat from my GPU and or drives is negated. 1 ( intake) front of case blowing in across drive onto GPU, 1 ( intake) bottom of case blowing directly on the GPU and 1 ( out ) Top of case.

This is with the stock H60 Thermal adhesive.

I am considering replacing that with Arctic Silver 5. / shrug Moot point I think. . . . I do not MAD Overclock and have no plans of pushing this CPU or GPU into the " Unbelievable Zone of OC craziness".

OK, I got the fan from store.corsair.com, and I got the screws from another place.

I have just a generic question on my temps now. I am running i2600K all auto so 3.4Ghz to 3.8Ghz stock clock. Running Prime95 all 8 threads now for about 90 minutes and I am between 58C ~ 60C steady. Idle I am in the high 30'sC.

Are these temps about right with the H60? Will it improve dramatically with push/pull?... Thanks!

Your temps with one fan and your CPU configuration are very good. You could lower your idle temps to the low 30's C or even lower if you enable SpeedStep, C1E, and the other C-States in your BIOS. They are all CPU power saving options that when enabled are activated when the CPU has a low load. As soon as the CPU has work to do, they deactivate in microseconds. SpeedStep is the only one you can really tell is activated, as your CPU will automatically reduce it's speed to 1.6GHz. At that speed the CPU becomes cooler. I use it on my i7-2600K, and it's interesting when I OC it to 4.6GHz, CPU monitoring programs show it jumping from 1.6GHz to 4.6GHz on one or more cores, and then down again. Try SpeedStep (aka EIST) first and watch your CPU temps at idle, they will be reduced. There is no problem using that feature, it does not affect stability, etc.

With two PWM fans you will improve your cooling, but don't expect to get more than ~5 - 7 degrees C difference while stress testing, and you may not even see that much. At idle your CPU temperature should be lower too, but if you enable SpeedStep, I bet you will get sub-30C idle temps. When SpeedStep is enabled, your idle temps will change quite a bit, almost constantly, since idle is never 100% for any length of time, or at all.

Your CPU temps will be influenced by the temp of the air in your case of course, so the more ventilation of the case you can achieve, the better.

Steel Rat, there is no need to change your TIM to AC, you won't gain anything and actually may loose a few degrees of cooling. I do agree that most users do not really need to enter the U********C, but it's an enjoyable PC nerd trick. :bigeyes:

Hmm, why did it censor the acronym I made out of Unbelievable Zone of OC Craziness? :beenrippe

I completed the push pull setup and its working fine. I am in the mid / low 20's now idle, and the noise increase was neglegable.

I wish I knew the Corsair fan came with the screws. Someone owes me a $5 spot...

Thanks!

I had no idea Corsair supplied screws with their fans for these coolers, although it makes sense. Your first post just asked for the size of the screws, so that is what I provided. You paid $5 for those screws?! I bought six in a package for ~$1.50 with tax.

Archived