Corsair Community

H60 Pump Noise for my new Cooler advice requested

Wulff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My H60's pump had this extremely annoying noise, so I requested a new one from the retailer (easier, faster and cheaper than sending it to Corsair). I mean dude, I couldn't even be in the same room. Anyway, I got the new one, installed it ... and it made the same damn noise – though a little bit less intensive.

I tried putting my computer on its side and leaving it running that way for about 6 hours. I tried holding the radiator above the pump and gently tapping it, as suggested by RAM GUY. And it just got worse! After all those hours I spent packing it, waiting for a new one, cleaning the CPU, and mounting the new one, I'm back at square one.

Worth mentioning is that the new one is of another batch/revision. I can tell because the screws have notches – the ones on the first one were completely flat. It also contains parts for mounting it on an LGA2011 socket, which I don't think the first one did.

Using my motherboard's UEFI to lower the fan speed to Level 8 instead of Level 9 makes it silent and doesn't dramatically affect temps. But I want to be able to run it at full speed. I want to be able to use it without having to rely on motherboard functionality. Also, a faulty device is impossible to sell, should I want to.

I could RMA it again and get another noisy device. And then another one, and then another one...

So the only option I actually have is keeping it and letting it run on Level 8 fan speed. Will doing so negatively affect it over time?

I'm perfectly happy with my Corsair PSU, Corsair RAM, and Corsair SSD, but I'm really disappointed with the H60, sorry. It's simply not possible to get two noisy pumps (out of two) given a "way bellow 5%" failure rate, as previously stated by RAM GUY. I'd say it has pretty much been proved in this thread and similar threads that there IS something seriously wrong with the H60 pump.

Anyway, I think I will keep my H60 and run it at ~90% fan speed. Will doing so negatively affect it over time?

EDIT: I've now noticed that even lowering the speed to Level 8 doesn't always work. Sometimes when I start my computer it's all noisy even though it's set to Level 8, which means I have to open the damn case and tap the pump until it stops.

Returned H60 to Corsair, but can't seem to get the tab on the Support webpage to work to get an idea of RMA status.

Keeps linking back to Tech Support.

Corsair -- Ramguy -- Please respond.

And yes, poor support on one product will affect sales of other products.

Cannot wrap-up my build.

• Corsair Employee
So the only option I actually have is keeping it and letting it run on Level 8 fan speed. Will doing so negatively affect it over time?

No it won't, as long that your CPU temp is within reasonable range then you shouldn't worry. What I would do though is when the noise is permanently gone then I would run the pump again to 100% but running them at 80% should be fine.

Sparky - Post your case # and I will take a look at it.

I had the same problem with mine. I got a rma and my 2nd one makes a load of noise too :(

Does anyone know what is the actual cause of this? Is there not enough liquid in there or is it just a bad batch of pumps?

Okay, here's what I have. A H60 unit that actually cools worse and makes more noise than, the stock Intel HSF. In reading this forum, I have learned that it is a common problem and there is a good chance that the replacement will be no better.

So given that information, what is my best course of action? Spend $20 and wait a 2-4 weeks for a possible fix, or spend $20 and send it back to New Egg and buy a replacement from another manufacturer? Buy a different product gets me a replacement sooner and with a better chance for success.

Sorry, Corsair, it is pretty clear to me that there is a flaw in the manufacturing process and the cost to repair it exceeds the cost of lost/unhappy customers.

Finally, I am sick of hearing that this RMA process is industry standard. Having to pay more money and wait weeks for replacement is not reasonable. Saying it is how things are done is pretty much exactly what the Serbians said to the Croats before gunning them down and throwing them in mass graves. Stand above the crowd. Be better because you can be. No one ever succeeded by doing the same as everybody else.

Ram Guy, I know you are doing everything you are allowed to do. I appreciate your efforts on our (your customer's) behalf.

I sent an RMA request to Corsair. They sent me a coupon for a free fan. Too bad the pump is bad too.

I went to Fry's and bought another H60. It is **JUST** as loud as the first. I returned it. I returned the one I bought from New Egg. In an interesting turn of events; New Egg has paid for return shipping. New Egg seems to stand behind Corsair's products better than Corsair does.

Corsair has stated that the failure rate for this product is low. Yet several of us have had more than one bad unit. Somebody has to be wrong here.

According to the forums, the H100 is noisy as well. I really don't want to waste any more time on the Corsair coolers as there seems to be an extremely high failure rate. I am 0 for 2 at two different vendors.

Ok, 4th unit direct from corsair is quiet, finally. 3 previous ones from ncix were grinding...

I just hope that it stays quiet..... the first one got noisy after 2 days.....

So if this one is good it cost me 40$ for those RMAs, and that's because I asked for free shipping back at 2nd rma from ncix, and 3rd from corsair..... UPS still charged me taxes and duties on the replacement cooler from corsair, ooohhh well.

Add me to the list. I have a Corsair 650D, Corsair memory and corsair PSU.

All great quality, very happy. But the H60 in my system is just terrible. An increadibly annoying hard-drive like sound.

Have tried tapping it (sometimes helps for 2 or 3 seconds, and then comes back) and even holding my entire system up-side down to try and get the air (what i suspect is in the pump) out. Nothing helps. Have the system upside down now for a night (turned off) and see if that helps. If not, i will try to say the pumprate in the bios. Although i find it ridiculous that this is required to make this product operate normally.

Keep you posted!

Sorry to say, but same H60 noise issue here from day one, the pump is by far the loudest component in my PC.

I returned it to the local store (4Launch) and bought a new one since I did not want to be without a cooler. The RMA was accepted and they will refund in about 10 days.

I installed the new one - it was silent (made 'before' and 'after' video clips) but unfortunately two days later... noise back again.

I noted that if you lower the voltage a bit (I temporary hooked it up to an external regulated supply unit), the noise disappears. But tapping / moving / tilting it can bring it back. Current voltage is ~12.13V (DVM), according to my mobo (Asus P8P67 EVO) it runs at ~4340 RPM. My guess is that the diode solution mentioned in another post (effectively lowering the voltage with some 0.65V) just might put 'your' pump in a silent mode at the cost of lower RPM. For some time at least. But, cutting the wire to insert the diode voids warrenty.

I wrote a message to Corsair last weekend asking them for a solution; there is no way for me to tell if I have a 'good' or a 'bad' one and just swapping H60's seems not an efficient way.

So my 10 cents: Dear Corsair, I'm afraid your faced with a field call rate issue for the H60/80/100 pumps. Please provide a solution to your customers in line with your brand image!

But, cutting the wire to insert the diode voids warrenty.
That's why I advise against cutting, and making a pass-through/feed-trough/adapter/call-it-what-you-want instead.

Seems I'll start shipping not only 4-pin for H80 and H100 but 3-pin for H60 as well :roll:

Which is why I created this DIY cable to test (a real one should be better) based on a diode I had around which could take 1A current without smoke...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/img0551yc.jpg/

Ahyhow, I'll await reply form Corsair tech supporton how to solve.

I purchased an H60 last week from a local shop and noticed two on the shelf were returned and discounted (no idea why, just a statement of fact). First, this is a GREAT cooler. However every couple minutes it has a slow-pulsing-whine about 6 to 15 second durations - it will drive anyone nuts as others have posted. I'm going to return the cooler this week and get another H60 and hope it does not have the same noise issue. I love this cooler and hope I get one that doesn't whine. One way or the other I'll update this thread with my results.

I swapped the H60 (serial number 004X9J) out for a new H60 (serial number 003UB2) and after 24 hours it is doing the same thing - an awful slow-pulsing-whine. It started out at a real low pitch, and slowly got higher as the hours went by. What are the odds of me getting two fans that were bad? Maybe the store got a bad batch of H60's? I hope so since this is a great cooler. Maybe the manufacturing shop used a different pump than designed with? The reason I say this is the first cooler had phillips screw slots on the top of the "thumb screws" that hold down the pump, the second coolers thumb screws didn't have any screw slots at all - you could only get them finger tight. I'll go back to my stock fan for now until I hear this has been resolved. I was really excited about this cooler when I first installed it.

• 3 months later...

I had that same hard drive grinding noise with my H60 as well. While I've been on the higher end of the 12V ATX spec with two different power supplies in my case, I just RMA'ed this week and have a new cooler in with no noticeable pump noise. (you can 'advanced RMA' to have them ship one out ahead of time) I actually heard real hard drive noise for the first time since February. Maybe the new pumps are more tolerant of voltages near the top end of the 12V spec?

One thing I would recommend is to try plugging the pump into the PWR fan header, or turning off any smart fan/q-fan features in BIOS on whatever fan headers you do use for the pump before the swap. No idea if undervolting the pump during a first run could cause any issues when running at normal spec then or not. That's one of the things that seems to be missing from the Ikea-like instructions that are provided.

After reading the forums, waiting it out for awhile seems to have been a good choice.

For those still having problems, running q-fan on one of the chassis fans and having it set to performance mode kept my noisy pump silent and cooling well enough (ASUS AM3 motherboard) though not as good as at full RPM.

You can see model and serial number info on the bottom of the radiator. I definitely got a different batch, as the pump hoses are not as pitch black as the older ones, and have a slight hint of grey to them.

I'd RMA the product, ask for a refund and buy something else. I've had two dud H80s now that make the horrible, loud grinding noise that everyone is rightly complaining about. And the fan controller on the second one isn't working either - the pump is working (the noise makes that clear) but the attached fans don't spin up and the light doesn't come on the pump unit. Worst quality control I have ever seen - there should be a general product recall and refund programme until they come up with something that actually works as it should!

Colnago, please, you have your thread and voiced your opinion and concerns. There is no need to keep posting in other threads every chance you get.

I completely understand your frustration and Corsair is working hard to solve the problem. But telling everyone to stay away isn't helping any.

You're right Peanut - probably doesn't help people who've already shelled out money for a defective product. I'll content myself with expressing my views via on-line retailers forums (there's plenty of them) in the hope that others don't suffer the same fate.

Archived