Corsair Community

Windows reporting wrong usage

foxrlx

Hi, I have a force GT 120gb and got windows 7 64bits installed on it

But it's showing that only 9.74GB is used right now, when I select all files/folders and click properties it shows 14GB size

I tried checking on the windows installation menu and it also shows incorrect space, it shows that 102gb are free.

I already ran chkdsk, but nothing has changed.

Total disk size is being reported correctly (111GB)

is there something wrong with the ssd or is there some problem with ntfs?

I guess the difference is due to your pagefile.

...when I select all files/folders and click properties it shows 14GB size

The size you will see here depends on which folders are shown/hidden. If you have unchecked "Hide protected system files", then you will see pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys.

Did you reboot after disabling hibernation and changing the location of pagefile?

The size discrepancy must be due to the way Windows is reporting things, and is not due to the SSD. When you click Properties, the dialog box appears immediately, right? That's because Windows is just reading the file system information, which already exists, rather than reading the entire SSD and producing a result. The SSD does not provide the information, it just comes from the NTFS file system in Windows.

Yes, I did reboot sometimes already, the dialog box appears immeadiately but the usage doesn't show 14gb right when it opens, it takes some seconds.

I also thought it could be the file system, is there something I could do to fix it or only formating?

Maybe I should format, but I just have formated as you can see there's only 14gb being used.

I figured out how you were "selecting all", and then clicked Properties as you did (I've never done that before.) I also see a difference between the standard disk Properties and the method described above, in my case about 2.5GB. This is not on a Corsair SSD, but a well known SSD that I use as a boot drive, for a year now, and I know it is functioning fine.

I checked another OS SSD drive, with the same results, the "selecting all" method shows a higher total than the simple drive Properties.

Next I checked a non-OS drive with both methods, and in this case the simple drive Properties showed a higher total than the "select all" method, the opposite of my other two checks. This drive is a standard HDD.

I then checked a SSD that at the moment is used for the system Pagefile, and nothing else. The simple Properties method showed a total equivalent to the size of the memory on that PC, 12GB. Attempting the "select all" method, even when enabling Show Hidden Files, resulted in a total of zero bytes used on that drive.

I haven't determined the reason for the differences, but it seems clear to me that the differences are caused by some quirks in the way Windows counts or calculates the two different results, and by the particular contents of the drive.

IMO, this is a Windows issue, and not a fault of the drives themselves. You'll likely get the best answer for your question in a MS forum.

This is perfectly normal with any disk. The correct file usage is the one when you right click the drive from My Computer and click properties of the disk, which will not take into effect temporary files that can be overwritten.

The select all method is incorrect when selecting on the root of a drive because of files behind the scenes, there's a bit more than just hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys but those are the two major ones.

Archived