Corsair Community

H60 Faulty?

matty86uk

Was having crazy high temps with the H60, temps approaching 100 degrees on full load and 40 degrees on idle. As a test to see if my cpu sensors were faulty i installed the stock intel heat sink, with the same overclock im getting 80 degrees on full load,

I installed the H60 using the instructions, the back plate on the back of the motherboard, the rebated section facing up (as shown in the diagram), 4 parts (top hats with a hole in them best to describe them) go into the holes on the motherboard from the back with the plastic/rubber rings between the back plate and the motherboard, all come out on the other side equally, 4 double sided screws screw in from the other side, place h60 on the cpu match up wholes and screw using thumbscrews in the correct order. top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right.

I plugged the Radiator fan into the CPU_FAN (4 pin connector on the fan, diagram shows a 3 pin connector :confused:, the connector from the block that is thumb screwed down i have connected to a spare 3 pin socket on the motherboard, 2 spare on my motherboard, chassis fan or power fan, no difference at all.

the unit itself is quiet, was expecting some bubble sounds, liquid moving around, general water noises. What do i do?

FYI:

Q9550, Socket 775, Originally used thermal paste that came with the h60, but have reapplied with AS5 with no difference.

Cheers, Mathew.

I seem to have fixed the problem, my temps are much more lower.

The instructions show the pump with the "Corsair" name upright, I rotated my pump 90 degrees, so the "Corsair" name is now facing the back of the case towards the corsair intake fan, ofcourse the back plate will also have to be rotated on the back of the motherboard to allow the pump to fit in this orientation. I dont know why this has fixed my problem, but im currently running the same overclock as above, and my highest core (core 0) is just under 60 degrees, this is a Q9550 overclocked to 3.6ghz.

Turning the pump 90 degrees fixed your mounting problem because in the original position, the pump was contacting capacitors or inductors that are very close to the CPU socket. That caused less than optimal contact between the CPU and the copper bottom plate on the pump.

That happens on some boards, and yours is apparently one of them, although we don't know what board it is.

My Board is an ASUS P5Q PRO.

Boards from the P5 series are known to have this issue with the newer Corsair Hydro coolers (H60, etc.) Since they vary in component layout from one to another, all of them may not have this issue, but since you have a P5, it was well worth checking.

Archived